cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are the look-a-like posts on CB racist?
Yes 8 26.67%
No 22 73.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2007, 10:41 PM   #71
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
My initial impression was that you and Lingo are taking a lot of liberties from the position I was reading in the article.
My impression as well. Especially Lingo.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:12 PM   #72
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I actually enjoyed the article. Seriously.

Have you read his book?
Unforunately, no. I have some career-related studying that will likely keep me occupied through the holidays, but I'm hopeful to do some leisure reading after that. Steele's book is one of several on the list (including Bushman's).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I applaud you and Lingo for being on the cutting edge of this dialogue.

I skimmed through the article. I'll give it a more thorough reading later when I have time. My initial impression was that you and Lingo are taking a lot of liberties from the position I was reading in the article.
Well I guess that's why we talk about it, isn't it.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:14 PM   #73
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Steele's book is one of several on the list (including Bushman's).
Well, I can't wait to see your analysis of Bushman's book.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:15 PM   #74
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Well, I can't wait to see your analysis of Bushman's book.
I'm sure once I've posted my thoughts, you'll respond with at least one sentence.

Calm down, calm down. I'm just yankin' yer chain.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:56 PM   #75
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm sure once I've posted my thoughts, you'll respond with at least one sentence.

Calm down, calm down. I'm just yankin' yer chain.
You will read a nonChurch publication?
Old 09-01-2007, 01:06 AM   #76
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Did you even read any of those links?
Eh Tex, if you read Steele a little closer, you'll find that he believes this double standard on race is justified.

"No group in recent history has more aggressively seized power in the name of its racial superiority than Western whites. This race illustrated for all time--through colonialism, slavery, white racism, Nazism--the extraordinary human evil that follows when great power is joined to an atavistic sense of superiority and destiny. This is why today's whites, the world over, cannot openly have a racial identity.

White guilt--the need to win enough moral authority around race to prove that one is not a racist--is the price whites today pay for this history."

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editor...l?id=110004295

I like this guy after all.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:19 AM   #77
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:20 AM   #78
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Not racist and the poll supports it. Nothing to worry about.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:45 AM   #79
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You will read a nonChurch publication?
*Tex rolls his eyes.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Eh Tex, if you read Steele a little closer, you'll find that he believes this double standard on race is justified.

"No group in recent history has more aggressively seized power in the name of its racial superiority than Western whites. This race illustrated for all time--through colonialism, slavery, white racism, Nazism--the extraordinary human evil that follows when great power is joined to an atavistic sense of superiority and destiny. This is why today's whites, the world over, cannot openly have a racial identity.

White guilt--the need to win enough moral authority around race to prove that one is not a racist--is the price whites today pay for this history."

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editor...l?id=110004295

I like this guy after all.
Hmmm, I'm not sure I've said the disparity is unjust--I even said in this very thread that given the current climate we ought to be sensitive to racial issues.

The question is not "is it just" but "is it good"? Is it a good thing that racial minorities segregate themselves and focus on the advancement of their race? Is it a good things that whites fall over themselves like "damned fools," to use Walter Williams words, to prove they aren't racist? (Think SoonerCoug and jay santos.) Here, Steele is equally clear:

Quote:
Possibly white guilt's worst effect is that it does not permit whites--and nonwhites--to appreciate something extraordinary: the fact that whites in America, and even elsewhere in the West, have achieved a truly remarkable moral transformation. One is forbidden to speak thus, but it is simply true. There are no serious advocates of white supremacy in America today, because whites see this idea as morally repugnant. If there is still the odd white bigot out there surviving past his time, there are millions of whites who only feel goodwill toward minorities.

This is a fact that must be integrated into our public life--absorbed as new history--so that America can once again feel the moral authority to seriously tackle its most profound problems.
We'd all do a lot of good to step back from the precipice, whites and non-whites together, regardless of whatever might technically be "justified" and recognize how far we've come.

This, instead of getting panties in a twist over someone noticing a black football player's Buckwheat hairstyle.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:22 AM   #80
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Is it a good thing that racial minorities segregate themselves and focus on the advancement of their race?
Is it a good thing to pick up everything and move into the rocky mountains?

After you've been taught for 300 years you were inferior, why shouldn't blacks learn to look to their race as a source of power? Every other minority in the country does this. When people like Malcolm X and the Nation of Islam do this, they're vilified by the media.

By the way, everyone recognizes the progress we've made. I'm not sure Williams and Steele do, however. I've heard Williams speak, and he said he implied that the welfare state is worse than slavery. What progress is that?