cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2007, 05:52 AM   #71
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Walk me through HOW and WHY either Colorado or Texas would just get up and leave the Big 12. Why would they do that? Just because the Pac 10 asked them to? And why would the Big 12 allow itself to sink to 10 teams? The CCG issue jsut shifts from one conference to another. Colorado is going to say, "to hell with all our tradition in the Big 12....our NC......let's go to the Pac 10, just because..."

As for prestige, keep in mind that amongst the BCS conferences, it is the Pac that is always crying about no respect (I would put the Big Least as the least respected, however). If not for SC's dominance, the Pac would have little to hang its hat on compared to its BCS brethren. You are suggesting that if the Pac is forced to expand, it is somehow going to steal away 2 Big 12 schools?

So your answer is that if the Pac is forced to expand, it will add the awesome pairing of Utah and New Mexico. Or Utah and Hawaii. All because "BYU is weird."

Not smarter. Less dumb.
Look at what is going on around you, my friend. The country is in a metaphysical civil war. A guy who doesn't believe in evolution may win the republican nomination, and Hillary Clinton or Obama will win the democratic nomination. The cultural elites on the coasts have no sense of humor about this, or about Bush being a Jesus freak. BYU is on the other side of the cutural divide from Stanford, etc. Rightly or wrongly they just don't respect BYU. This type of cultural hegemony exists in its purest form in academia. That's where it emanates from. They don't care about TV and football compared to what they think really matters. Most of them don't even like football.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:00 AM   #72
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Look at what is going on around you, my friend. The country is in a metaphysical civil war. A guy who doesn't believe in evolution may win the republican nomination, and Hillary Clinton or Obama will win the democratic nomination. The cultural elites on the coasts have no sense of humor about this, or about Bush being a Jesus freak. BYU is on the other side of the cutural divide from Stanford, etc. Rightly or wrongly they just don't respect BYU. This type of cultural hegemony exists in its purest form in academia. That's where it emanates from. They don't care about TV and football compared to what they think really matters. Most of them don't even like football.
Stanford just spent millions to upgrade from their high school football field to a nice, collegiate stadium. Maybe they just started caring about football a few seasons ago.

Also, I believe Stanford ranks somewhere around #1 every year in the Sears Cup rankings for all around athletic performance.

UCLA has the largest intramural program in the country and was voted SI's Top School for all-around athletics.

The Pac 10 is the only conference with 100 NCAA championships.

UCLA has the most mens hoops championships.

SC is tied for the most mens football championships and is second in Heismans.

I think you are right...these Pac 10 people are hyper snobby folks who care more about books than anything else. It is a wonder they even follow sports? Who has time for sports in the Pac 10 when there are cancers to be cured and tombs to be explored in Egypt?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:01 AM   #73
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Triple's point is a good one. If the pac10 is forced to expand, they'll end up with some real shit teams if they don't take BYU, unless they can work out some convoluted deal to steal from the Big 12 and have the Big 12 pick up somebody else. SU's point is also good, as it really seems like the pac10 doesn't want BYU at all. I hope the BCS forces the issue, as I think the pac10 would consider seceding from the union as it were before taking BYU.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:03 AM   #74
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Triple's point is a good one. If the pac10 is forced to expand, they'll end up with some real shit teams if they don't take BYU, unless they can work out some convoluted deal to steal from the Big 12 and have the Big 12 pick up somebody else. SU's point is also good, as it really seems like the pac10 doesn't want BYU at all. I hope the BCS forces the issue, as I think the pac10 would consider seceding from the union as it were before taking BYU.
SU's point is possibly valid (since it is based on conjecture, albeit very likely conjecture--I really dont disagree with his sentiments), but completely impractical under the scenario of actual forced expansion.

If forced to expand, hello Cougars and Utes.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 12-04-2007, 06:04 AM   #75
TripletDaddy

Also, it is interesting that the Pac calls itself the "Conference of Champions" as opposed to the "Conference of Scholars" or the "Conference of Academics."

Old 12-04-2007, 06:13 AM   #76
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Also, it is interesting that the Pac calls itself the "Conference of Champions" as opposed to the "Conference of Scholars" or the "Conference of Academics."
Well, I've heard many folks with BYU ties say that BYU is the Harvard of the west, to the PAC 10 can't claim the scholars bit.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:19 AM   #77
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Well, I've heard many folks with BYU ties say that BYU is the Harvard of the west, to the PAC 10 can't claim the scholars bit.
I havent heard that once since my undergrad days. I think if someone said that to me now with a straight face, I would probably punch them in the nose, or at least flick their earlobe with my middle finger.

If it really is true, someone should notify Cal, Stanford, SC, and UCLA. And about 200K HS senior applicants each year.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:24 AM   #78
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I havent heard that once since my undergrad days. I think if someone said that to me now with a straight face, I would probably punch them in the nose, or at least flick their earlobe with my middle finger.

If it really is true, someone should notify Cal, Stanford, SC, and UCLA. And about 200K HS senior applicants each year.
I can tell that you are not a native of Utah County. Or the state of Utah. Or even a zoob.

Good for you.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:57 PM   #79
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
They would want to expand if a new entrant would make the pie proportionately bigger. For example, if Texas wanted into the Pac 10 the Pac 10 would take Texas in a New York second. That's an extreme example but I think BYU fans are right that BYU from a sports revenue standpoint and a competitiveness standpoint would be an attractive addition to the Pac 10. But while BYU makes the grade on the gridiron and with its undeniable national following, it will always be rejected for cultural reasons whether the Pac 10 admits it or not. I think the "no research" catch phrase will probably be the thing you'll hear.
Before we speculate on all of the reasons why they are "rejecting" BYU, I think we need to make a more compelling case as to why they would want to expand. I think there are plenty of reasons (that have nothing to do with religion, research, etc.) for the PAC-10 to stick with ten teams. BYU and Utah fans like to have this little debate quite regularly, I am not at all convinced that it would be a net plus for them, even if BYU were a secular school with more research.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:45 PM   #80
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Utah doesn't make much sense to me. A commuter school from a backwater state that hardly puts 40k in the stands during the good years.

The entire population of Utah is less than Dallas. As far as market BYU is about 5 times more important than Utah.

But I guess they do have a cancer center, so Utah has that going for them.

If you follow the money, BCS will go for BYU.

You can do pretty well predicting the future if you follow the money.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote