cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you found out that the Golden Plates never existed, would you still be a Mormon?
Yes, the literalness of Joseph Smith's claims don't matter to me. 4 14.29%
Yes, but it would change the way I view the Church. 9 32.14%
No, I couldn't accept the Church as true in such a scenario. 10 35.71%
I'm not a Mormon. 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2007, 08:48 PM   #71
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
And the contemptuous follow up that is completely devoid of reason.

Yet another confirmation of Tex as a congenial, neighbor-loving, and sincere fellow.

And you wonder why some around here don't care for your manner.
You are accusing me of being completely devoid of reason, immediately after calling me swine and turning up your nose? Heh.

Much learning doth make thee mad.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 09-14-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:51 PM   #72
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
He asked you a legitimate question and you gave him a completely contemptable answer, then you have the gall to get huffy with his response to your contempt.

Beautiful.
From whence comes the legitimacy of his question? Time after time he has demonstrated that he has no actual interest in what I think.

But here we are, again, talking about Tex of all things. It's sickening.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:51 PM   #73
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Chapel-Hill-Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
So what was the purpose for the 11 witnesses?
You're taking me too seriously. If you don't have the evidence, get some people to say they saw the evidence. I'm with you, I'm just poking at you a little since these testimonies are not exactly beyond criticism. FWIW, I'm sure there were plates or something like plates in 1830. So? What other type of object would he use, a squeak toy? The question is were there plates buried in the 5th century in NY. The answer to the first question is not necessarily the answer to the second.
Chapel-Hill-Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:53 PM   #74
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
You are accusing me of being completely devoid of reason, immediately after calling me swine and turning up your nose? Heh.

Much learning doth make thee mad.
You have done nothing but confirm the rightness of my decision not to share my perspective on D&C 1. My reasons for writing what I did are confirmed by evidence--your response here being only one small piece.

And more bullying.

Your conclusion that my response confirmed the truth of the Church was without reason.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Old 09-14-2007, 09:02 PM   #75
Tex

Quote:
From whence comes the legitimacy of his question? Time after time he has demonstrated that he has no actual interest in what I think.
I am legitimately interested in your interpretation of that passage, otherwise I wouldn't have asked. You can't require that I agree with you, or expect not to counter with questions.

The chutzpah is stunning.

Quote:
But here we are, again, talking about Tex of all things. It's sickening.
Stop whining. You are welcome to ignore me at any time.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-14-2007, 09:10 PM   #76
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
I am legitimately interested in your interpretation of that passage, otherwise I wouldn't have asked. You can't require that I agree with you, or expect not to counter with questions.

The chutzpah is stunning.

You are welcome to ignore me at any time.
Now, why would I not think you're legitimately interested? Where would I get such a crazy notion? Someone help me out here.

Not chutzpah. I'm just stating that I interpret the passage differently than you seem to, and that I do not want to discuss it further with you. I would never require you to agree with me. I wouldn't even know how to go about trying to do such a thing.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:19 PM   #77
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Well, given the testimonies of the 3 witnesses, the 8 witnesses, Joseph Smith, and so forth, I would have a very hard time believing all of them lied.
It's always struck me as extremely shallow for anyone to found their faith on the "witnesses'" statements, for many reasons. For one thing, they are so lacking in credibility that they wouldn't be admissible in a court of law for the simple reason that an original signed document can't be produced and there is no evidence such a thing ever existed. Which is ironic, since sworn testimony of witnesses tries to ape a court of law's means for finding truth. This reminds me of those Christian "news networks" aping real news networks. Moreover, yes, there are many more believable explanations for the statements than that they really saw golden plantes and angels, including, yes, that all of these men, most of whom were named Whitmer, lied. That's a lot more believable than the alleged content of the "testimony." I'd love to cross-examine any of them. I'd have a riotous time.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:20 PM   #78
Tex

Quote:
Now, why would I not think you're legitimately interested? Where would I get such a crazy notion? Someone help me out here.

Not chutzpah. I'm just stating that I interpret the passage differently than you seem to, and that I do not want to discuss it further with you. I would never require you to agree with me. I wouldn't even know how to go about trying to do such a thing.
Fine. Discuss or not discuss whatever you want. Just dismount the high horse. You're no more or less civil than I am in these conversations.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-14-2007, 09:22 PM   #79
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
It's always struck me as extremely shallow for anyone to found their faith on the "witnesses'" statements, for many reasons. For one thing, they are so lacking in credibility that they wouldn't be admissible in a court of law for the simple reason that an original signed document can't be produced and there is no evidence such a thing ever existed. Which is ironic, since sworn testimony of witnesses tries to ape a court of law's means for finding truth. This reminds me of those Christian "news networks" aping real news networks. Moreover, yes, there are many more believable explanations for the statements than that they really saw golden plantes and angels, including, yes, that all of these men, most of whom were named Whitmer, lied. That's a lot more believable than the alleged content of the "testimony." I'd love to cross-examine any of them. I'd have a riotous time.
I don't think the statements were intended to meet any legal standards, either of the day, or now. I wonder what the legal standard for "an angel showed it to me" is. Just how would you cross-examine that?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-14-2007, 09:42 PM   #80
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
I don't think the statements were intended to meet any legal standards, either of the day, or now. I wonder what the legal standard for "an angel showed it to me" is. Just how would you cross-examine that?
He's just making sure, again, that we all know that he does not believe to begin with, and that he can give us a logical explanation why he's right and we're wrong.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote