cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2008, 11:55 PM   #71
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I agree with most of this. I am not sure coal gasification will ever be much help. I think coal is best utilized for power generation. We need better plug-in hybrids and Chevy-Volt type cars to take advantage of electricity produced from all sources, including coal. I also think we need to start building lots of nuclear plants ASAP.
I like Venkman's ideas, and agree with the nuclear plant idea, but how can we ever get it past a Democratically controlled Congress?
Old 06-19-2008, 12:03 AM   #72
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I like Venkman's ideas, and agree with the nuclear plant idea, but how can we ever get it past a Democratically controlled Congress?
I think the prospect of $10 per gallon of gas changes how people feel about a lot of things. Dramatically.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:15 AM   #73
Archaea

Quote:
I think the prospect of $10 per gallon of gas changes how people feel about a lot of things. Dramatically.
I have absolutely no faith in Republicans to do a thing as sensible as proposed by Venkman and by you. I have even less faith in national Democrats, given their death grip on the throats by environmental groups.

Nuclear energy has made sense for a very long time, but I don't see it being feasible under the current regulatory climate.

How long does it take to build a nuclear power plant? Ten years?
Old 06-19-2008, 12:34 AM   #74
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have absolutely no faith in Republicans to do a thing as sensible as proposed by Venkman and by you. I have even less faith in national Democrats, given their death grip on the throats by environmental groups.

Nuclear energy has made sense for a very long time, but I don't see it being feasible under the current regulatory climate.

How long does it take to build a nuclear power plant? Ten years?
Yeah, but you are the official board pessimist.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:47 AM   #75
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I just got my first "AC running 24/7" electric bill. $135.
I love the TVA's nuke plants.

Sad that idiots have so much power and influence.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:08 AM   #76
Archaea

Quote:
Yeah, but you are the official board pessimist.
My view is the correct one; everybody else is just deluded.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:12 AM   #77
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Perhaps this is already in the works and/or already available, but I always wonder why we don't have flexible solar panels that come in the shape of roof shingles. They need to be flexible so you can walk on your roof and fix various other things up there (swamp cooler/AC unit, etc), and would need a bit of texture so you don't slide off and die, but that doesn't seem impossible to me. Imagine how much less power we would need to ship via the national grid if homes were largely self-sufficient? We would still connect them to the national grid, but the national grid would operate as a supplement only.

The sun is our best energy source. It will never go away, and if it does we won't need electricity.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:13 AM   #78
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I think the high gas prices may turn out to be a net positive for the country. People have shelved real energy reform for far too long, despite the experiences of the late '70's.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:47 PM   #79
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Perhaps this is already in the works and/or already available, but I always wonder why we don't have flexible solar panels that come in the shape of roof shingles. They need to be flexible so you can walk on your roof and fix various other things up there (swamp cooler/AC unit, etc), and would need a bit of texture so you don't slide off and die, but that doesn't seem impossible to me. Imagine how much less power we would need to ship via the national grid if homes were largely self-sufficient? We would still connect them to the national grid, but the national grid would operate as a supplement only.

The sun is our best energy source. It will never go away, and if it does we won't need electricity.
What do you think the cost of roofing with that would compare to normal shingles? How much cost would it be to have them all wired together as a network? How reliable would they be? Would they break easily or need replacing frequently?

I agree about solar energy and other alternative sources of energy, but there are a lot of pragmatic barriers.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #80
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I think the high gas prices may turn out to be a net positive for the country. People have shelved real energy reform for far too long, despite the experiences of the late '70's.
Agreed
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote