cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #71
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I assume you are just guessing here unless you are the painter she went to her mothers with on week ends.

She had baby sitters, a house cleaner. Our actual fight came because she wanted to fill more fulfilled and get a full time job. I of course quoted her the bretherns stance on women working and told her no. I was willing to cut back on golf and other things in order to make things work, but she was set on having a full time job.

My therapist asked why I was so admimant about her not working. I said, because I prayed and she should stay at home and not work.

Now this is really weird, the therapist after several sessions said the work thing was just her way of breaking away from her mother control. I was the surrogate, maybe Mike can explain that. Anyway, he said when the job wasn't fulfilling enough, she would get around to me.

You know we have always gotten along. However, your one size fits all solutions just don't work in the real world.
There's no need to defend yourself. I'm simply presenting the other side of what has been a one-sided discussion. Obviously the issues of dating are far more complex than this thread can address -as is evidenced by your personal experience.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #72
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I just saw this thread.

My guess is the reason for less dating at BYU is proportionate to the level of NERDS that are going there that used to be.

I mean honestly...the level of dorkery there is on an unparalleled scale than just about any campus in the country.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #73
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
Lots of people think reasons and excuses are the same. Usually, those people don't like the implication of the reasons.
And lots' of people resort to just such a distinction in order to avoid the impication of excuse making.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #74
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
There's no need to defend yourself. I'm simply presenting the other side of what has been a one-sided discussion. Obviously the issues of dating are far more complex than this thread can address -as is evidenced by your personal experience.
Not really.

More attractive people find mates.

Less attractive people don't.

Figure out a way to make yourself attractive...if it isnt beauty, than be smart, or funny, or rich, or spiritual.

Then, and here is the MOST important step for the less attractive....make sure you are using the correct bait to catch your fish.

If your bait is your wealth, then dont fish after guys who want beauty.

If your bait is intelligence, then dont fish after guys who want beauty.

If your bait is humor, then dont fish after guys who want beauty.

See a pattern emerging here?

Take it from me, I know. I am a master baiter....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #75
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

In fairness, video games these days are absolutely lights out.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #76
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
In fairness, video games these days are absolutely lights out.
I actually think Master Sergeant is kinda hot!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #77
SCcoug

SCcoug is on a distinguished road

I remember the Oak's talk. Soon after my old roommate had the study to which Oaks refers. Actually he had the last question which was an open ended question "Give us your thoughts on dating and marriage. Most of the unmarried guy and girl responses are pretty similar to the reasons given here. The guys genereally said that there was too much pressure on getting married and first dates weren't enjoyable. The girls generally said they didn't get asked out enough and some guys were more interested in games/tv/fill in the blank. The girls were way more worried about getting married which makes sense given the emphasis in the YM program on the subject.
Personally I don't think "only" a 60% marriage rate is a bad thing. Lots of guys and girls need to grow up a bit anyway.
SCcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #78
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I'll also add that while I think guys are pickier about who they'll ask out.....women are way pickier about who they'll get into a relationship with.

I think this is even more true in Mormon dating.

Which of course makes for quite the dichotomy.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #79
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post

I am all for presenting the opposing view. I would hate to not have the chance to consider other thoughts. My point was don't use my situation as an example unless you know the whole story.

You could make up a situation, even though I know you don't like to lie.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #80
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
I remember the Oak's talk. Soon after my old roommate had the study to which Oaks refers. Actually he had the last question which was an open ended question "Give us your thoughts on dating and marriage. Most of the unmarried guy and girl responses are pretty similar to the reasons given here. The guys genereally said that there was too much pressure on getting married and first dates weren't enjoyable. The girls generally said they didn't get asked out enough and some guys were more interested in games/tv/fill in the blank. The girls were way more worried about getting married which makes sense given the emphasis in the YM program on the subject.
Personally I don't think "only" a 60% marriage rate is a bad thing. Lots of guys and girls need to grow up a bit anyway.
Think about it. In our culture, girls are primarily going to BYU to get married, have kids and stay at home and enjoy Sister Beck's talk.

Guys on the other hand have to think about providing that lifestyle. Now days they have to think about providing it at a level that Daddy did for his girl.

Marriage is a lot bigger committment for the fellow. He is the one who will be blamed if the income level later doesn't cut it.

I might be wrong. Have you ever heard a talk in church telling the women to quit demanding their hubbies do as well as brother Jones.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote