cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2008, 09:58 PM   #71
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Some people don't care about that stuff, and it's not really that important, which is why I put it in the category of personal preference. Just as there's no need to impose one's own preferences on someone else, there's no need to make fun of people to who have them.
You'll recall that I originally commented because somebody chided Archea for mentioning that garments look best on the floor. There seem to be more than a few who place this in the "important" box.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #72
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
The floor is sacred to me I kneel on it and prostrate my self upon it.

;-)
The scriptures teach that you're made from that dirt that's all over it.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 PM   #73
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
The scriptures teach that you're made from that dirt that's all over it.
very good point!
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:10 PM   #74
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
You'll recall that I originally commented because somebody chided Archea for mentioning that garments look best on the floor. There seem to be more than a few who place this in the "important" box.
Yes, and I agree that's probably overstepping things. You'll recall I hope, that I wasn't being critical of anyone's opposing opinion on this.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:05 PM   #75
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll tell you the origin of the "no scriptures on the floor thing." I read it as a tidbit somewhere in a church blurb a while back and always remembered it.

When Joseph Fielding Smith was President of the Church, (or maybe it was when he was #2 or #3 but still one of the higher ups), during a conference talk, he mentioned one time when he placed his scriptures on the floor after reading them, and his wife asked him not to put them on the floor. He questioned that, and his wife repeated "please don't do that!" and he quickly responded with a "yes dear" and picked them up. The whole congregation laughed.

From that point on, the "respect the scriptures" notion was sort of a light-hearted notion that stemmed from the people's love for their prophet and his stories.

I can picture President Hinckley saying the same thing and my generation responding the same way.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:06 PM   #76
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

*President Monson
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:58 PM   #77
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Yes, and I agree that's probably overstepping things. You'll recall I hope, that I wasn't being critical of anyone's opposing opinion on this.
Yes, I'll agree that you weren't.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #78
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in a meeting (I'll need to pull up the notes to see to whom the quote was attributed and I'm sure somebody here knows the story) and was related that when an apostle was called to be an apostle he was asked by the prophet one question:

How do you treat your garments?

The apostle asked why and was told that that is the universal indicator of the healthiness of one's spiritual being. If you treat your garments good, spiritually you are good. We were subsequently told to not allow our garments to touch the floor and to treat them with the utmost of respect.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:52 AM   #79
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
I was in a meeting (I'll need to pull up the notes to see to whom the quote was attributed and I'm sure somebody here knows the story) and was related that when an apostle was called to be an apostle he was asked by the prophet one question:

How do you treat your garments?

The apostle asked why and was told that that is the universal indicator of the healthiness of one's spiritual being. If you treat your garments good, spiritually you are good. We were subsequently told to not allow our garments to touch the floor and to treat them with the utmost of respect.
Hmm ... I think that's stronger than the original quote which focused on wearing the garment properly. I suspect you are referring to the following from Elder Carlos E. Asay:

Quote:
A few years ago, in a seminar for new temple presidents and matrons, Elder James E. Faust, then of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, told about his being called to serve as a General Authority. He was asked only one question by President Harold B. Lee: "Do you wear the garments properly?" to which he answered in the affirmative. He then asked if President Lee wasn't going to ask him about his worthiness. President Lee replied that he didn't need to, for he had learned from experience that how one wears the garment is the expression of how the individual feels about the Church and everything that relates to it. It is a measure of one's worthiness and devotion to the gospel.
See: The Temple Garment: “An Outward Expression of an Inward Commitment” By Elder Carlos E. Asay Emeritus Member of the First Quorum of the Seventy, Ensign, 1997.

http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vg...____&hideNav=1
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:58 AM   #80
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Hmm ... I think that's stronger than the original quote which focused on wearing the garment properly. I suspect you are referring to the following from Elder Carlos E. Asay:

See: The Temple Garment: “An Outward Expression of an Inward Commitment” By Elder Carlos E. Asay Emeritus Member of the First Quorum of the Seventy, Ensign, 1997.

http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vg...____&hideNav=1
That must be the same story. I was told this story by an apostle and didn't remember the exact experience, thanks for posting that quote.

I was told not to allow your garments to touch the floor in this meeting and not to allow your scriptures to touch as well. I took these instructions to heart and did not allow my garments to be on the bottom of my hamper as my hamper was holed in the bottom.

To avoid this conundrum I've graduated to solid bottom hampers.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote