cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 05:43 PM   #71
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
In seq's defense, it has always bothered me that YM can fundraise, and YW are not supposed to. It's been a while since I've read the handbook on this issue, but I remember this being the case.

I think we can do more as a priesthood body to cater to the needs of the YW. (No sex jokes, please.) I fear that many Bishops know all about the scouting program and where each of their boys is at, but may not know too much about Young Womanhood Recognition.
In my old ward the YW did fundraising. I remember having to drive my daughter to the chapel so they could go out and put flags in people's yards on holidays.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:44 PM   #72
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
So let me get this straight - in addition to being submissive, crafty, domestic and sexually alluring/available 24/7, Mormon wives are responsible for discouraging their husbands' polygamous and polyandry (e.g. sexually enticing) escapades?

And this weekend I will be lectured about how wonderful it is to be a second class citizen in an obscure western U.S. religion that essentially panders to women, while reserving all the decision making authority to the resident male patriarchy who look down their bulbous noses at real feminine issues? GIVE ME A BREAK!

Serious question: what value does the Church bring to women (especially single women not named Dew) other than an obscure promise of salvation linked specifically to "their man"? Face it, the Church still subtly condones polygamy by allowing men to be sealed to multiple wives.

I will wait for honest introspective answers on the value question (no Brigham Young or BRM quotes please - if it is not apparent, I am having a bad day).
You got it right on the submissive, domestic, and sexually alluring/available 24/7 bits. I could do without the crafty part though. Nothing makes me wanna retch more than the crafty projects that come out of "Super Saturday". No crafty RS projects are allowed in our home.

So you see, expectations for a Mormon woman aren't as bad as you thought.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:47 PM   #73
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Well perhaps in Idaho, where the Church is not true, it may have occurred. Afterall Idaho members are not allowed to wear capris because those violate the tablet given to Ricks.
I remember in that ward, my next door neighbor -- who was also the EQP -- had a "Bo Gritz for President" sign in his front yard. His wife eventually had an affair and left him for some raisin-hording, bunker-building, militia type.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #74
BigFatMeanie

Quote:
That's great for your wife as one of the few women still in shape. However a kegel won't do much for a gal with too many kilos in her ass. And by the way we have far too many fat assed men as well.
You better watch what you're saying there pal. Us fat folks are gonna rise up one day and take over the world. In the words of the immortal Freddie Mercury: "fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round".
Old 10-05-2007, 05:55 PM   #75
BigFatMeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
When my dad was in the bishopric, they called a woman to be the Sunday School president. After several months they had to release her when they were told that violated church policy (they didn't know that it did).

Sunday School instruction must be guided by a man.
Men can't be in a Primary Presidency.

Also, men can no longer teach a primary class alone but women can.

Not really making a point here - just throwing those tidbits out.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #76
BigFatMeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
When my ex-wife was called to be the Young Women's President, one of the first meetings she attended was one where they discussed the budgets for the Young Men and the Young Women. During the meeting, she innocently asked why the budget for the Young Men was more than double that of the Young Women, and was told that it was because the activities that the Young Men attended cost more than those of the Young Women. The men in the room seemed genuinely surprised when she wasn't satisfied with that explanation.
I have never in my life seen a ward where the YW budget was smaller than the YM budget. Your experience is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing. The women's organizations dominate the budgets of every ward I've ever been in.

Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 10-05-2007 at 06:00 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-05-2007, 06:01 PM   #77
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
You better watch what you're saying there pal. Us fat folks are gonna rise up one day and take over the world. In the words of the immortal Freddie Mercury: "fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round".
Get off your fat ass and make it small.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #78
BigFatMeanie

Quote:
Get off your fat ass and make it small.
Working on it. I built this ass over the last 18 years. It's gonna take a little time to work it off.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:57 PM   #79
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll add a couple of things...

Women who have lots of formal education are treated suspiciously by many priesthood leaders, and by RS sisters too. If she's single, with a graduate degree in the Humanities, she needs to make only one mis-step before being labeled as a troublemaker. Men in the humanities need to watch out as well, but I've known instance after instance where an educated woman being assertive was basically blackballed.

If I say something provocative I get more leeway than I would if I were female. If I were female, the thought that "she wants the priesthood" would be echoing behind the patronizing smiles and awkward silences.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #80
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
If I say something provocative I get more leeway than I would if I were female. If I were female, the thought that "she wants the priesthood" would be echoing behind the patronizing smiles and awkward silences.
While wondering in the back recesses of their minds, if she were available for them.