cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #71
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
You've got the positions about right, I think. I'm not really "going at" Cali, nor trying to convince him (I don't think either one of us has succeeded at that in any topic over the months).

It's just a discussion.
Fair enough. I just get frustrated at times reading the same thing over & over again, without any headway being made....
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #72
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Fair enough. I just get frustrated at times reading the same thing over & over again, without any headway being made....
Then what is appealing to you about internet message boards?
Old 03-17-2008, 07:26 PM   #73
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
LOL.

He likes to complain about things that will never change.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #74
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Many discussions go places. Politics & Religion discussions tend to not. I primarily go to boards for sports, but since things are pretty slow, I'm stuck lurking on the Politics board here.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:28 PM   #75
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
LOL.

He likes to complain about things that will never change.
I sure do. I LOVE to complain about Utah driver's lack of consideration & ability to know what is going on around them...
Old 03-17-2008, 08:16 PM   #76
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I sure do. I LOVE to complain about Utah driver's lack of consideration & ability to know what is going on around them...
You are correct about Utah drivers' lack of consideration; however, they know what's going on around them. They just don't care what's going on around them - hence the lack of consideration.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:26 AM   #77
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Mark Steyn nails why this is an issue for people, specifically with Obama:

Quote:
“We nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye,” said the Reverend Wright. “We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards.”

Is that one of those “things I don’t always agree with”? Well, Senator Obama isn’t saying, responding merely that he wasn’t in church that morning. Okay, fair enough, but what would he have done had he happened to have shown up on September 16th? Cried “Shame on you!” and stormed out? Or, if that’s a little dramatic, whispered to Michelle that he didn’t want their daughters hearing this kind of drivel while rescue workers were still sifting through the rubble and risen from his pew in a dignified manner and led his family to the exit? Or would he have just sat there with an inscrutable look on his face as those around him nodded?

All Senator Obama will say is that “I don’t think my church is actually particularly controversial.” And in that he may be correct. There are many preachers who would be happy to tell their congregations “God damn America.” But Barack Obama is not supposed to be the candidate of the America-damners: He’s not the Reverend Al Sharpton or the Reverend Jesse Jackson or the rest of the racial-grievance mongers. Obama is meant to be the man who transcends the divisions of race, the candidate who doesn’t damn America but “heals” it — if you believe, as many Democrats do, that America needs healing.

Yet since his early twenties he’s sat week after week listening to the ravings of just another cookie-cutter race huckster.
It's really a question of judgment, and maybe a little of hypocrisy.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...BiNDVjMjU5MGQ=

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #78
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default What does Mitt's 'pastor' preach from

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
McCain's pastor:

the pulpit?
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #79
exUte

Default Sure. You believe Obama? What's he supposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
No. I'm just saying it's a little like going after Mitt Romney over Delbert Stapley.

I do believe that Obama is smarter and more reasonable than his pastor, and I believe Obama when he says that he completely disagrees with some of his pastor's statements.

I disagree with plenty of stuff I hear at Church, and I still attend. Haven't you ever had someone say something atrocious or racist from the pulpit? I admit that it's rare, but it does happen. We have less of a problem with racism than anti-gay bigotry.

Heck, we had a member of our stake presidency say that depression is a direct result of not having the spirit. That's pretty f-ed up, IMO.
to say, that he agrees with his pastor. Remember what his wife said recently........this was the only time in her life she was proud to be an American. Combine that with what the Pastor has been spewing.....sounds like Michelle definitely bought into that crap. I doubt it didn't rub off on Obama.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #80
exUte

Default Wright's fingerprints are all over Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Oh please. A "campaign issue" for Carville or Matalin? You are rapidly losing credibility (and you don't have much to lose).

First of all, you are pretending to know the depth of the relationship between Obama and Wright. He has gone to the church for 20 years and he has thanked Wright in the past. What else do we know about the relationship? Little, and yet you have already made them domestic partners.

Second, Obama has already distanced himself from Wright's politics, just like Carville and Matalin clearly have. Your position of "it isn't enough" is as vague as most other positions you take. What is enough, Tex? Take a position on something for once.

Third, the treatment Obama is receiving from Republicans in particular for his association with Wright is hypocritical, at best. Notice McCain isn't saying much? He doensn't want to tread in this water. To do so would be foolish with his association with Falwell and others he vowed never to associate with in 2000 (only later to cozy up to them).

In the spirit of Tex, here is a nice little article on the topic you may find interesting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/frank-...e_b_91774.html
Just listen to what Michelle Obama has said as well. The fingerprints would give a forensic investigator all they needed to convict a suspect.