cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is being gay a choice?
Yes 5 13.89%
No 24 66.67%
Undecided 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #71
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

I don't know if it's a choice or not. I don't particularly care, as I don't think the answer to this question makes a bit of difference in the eternal spectrum of our lives.

FWIW, I don't think there's a lot of fudge-packing going on in the Celestial Kingdom.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:17 PM   #72
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

All of you who can't distinguish between sexual attraction and sexual acts, please raise your hands so I can ignore you.

Some of you prefer to believe the universe is perfectly ordered, where all things that are not of God are consciously chosen in rebellion to God, and are therefore perfectly condemnable before God. It's a universe of your choice. But it unfortunately doesn't square with the facts.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #73
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I don't know if it's a choice or not. I don't particularly care, as I don't think the answer to this question makes a bit of difference in the eternal spectrum of our lives.

FWIW, I don't think there's a lot of fudge-packing going on in the Celestial Kingdom.
I think the argument that it does not matter much is what Michael Quinn argued when he said some early church leaders were gay, and there actions were quietly condoned, or rather, nothing was done about it.

Adam has detailed an account of a major GA who was gay, and how he continued on in his position for many years with the knowledge of all those around him.

So who knows.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #74
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think the argument that it does not matter much is what Michael Quinn argued when he said some early church leaders were gay, and there actions were quietly condoned, or rather, nothing was done about it.

Adam has detailed an account of a major GA who was gay, and how he continued on in his position for many years with the knowledge of all those around him.

So who knows.
Just to make sure...you're speaking about individuals who were gay, and not individuals who had sex with men with whom they were not married to, correct?

I have absolutely no problem with a man who feels a natural attraction to men being given any position of authority in the church...so long as they're obeying the principles of chastity.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:31 PM   #75
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Just to make sure...you're speaking about individuals who were gay, and not individuals who had sex with men with whom they were not married to, correct?

I have absolutely no problem with a man who feels a natural attraction to men being given any position of authority in the church...so long as they're obeying the principles of chastity.
in this case, I am talking about people with SSA who have sexual relations with the same sex.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #76
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

I would believe that out of the hundreds of people who have callings as a GA that there would be a few who might have Gay tendencies, but to say that you have proof of an openly Gay member of the GA, well, I gotta call BS on that one.

No way could the church have the position it does towards the Anti Family movement, and then openly condone a member of the highest calling to live this lifestyle.
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #77
MikeWaters
Demiurge

http://www.affirmation.org/memorial/...ng_smith.shtml
Old 02-27-2008, 02:37 PM   #78
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Maybe condone isn't the right word. Tolerate? Slowly rehabilitate? Don't ask, don't tell?

You be the judge.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #79
Spaz

Quote:
Site's blocked here at work. I'll just assume what's on there and say I don't buy it any more than I buy a guy who sleeps with women he's not married to being in the same position.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #80
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

I believe there is no "one size fits all" answer on this issue.

I worked with a flaming homosexual who flat out told me, when he was about 22, that he tired of dealing with women, he wanted to have sex a lot without the baggage, and made the switch to men. It was a choice for him. He's now about 40 and hasn't regretted it for a minute. (still nails chicks from time to time as well)

I have to think that's completely out of the norm, but to say out of the millions of gays throughout the world that none of them chose it, is just a little silly, if not naive.

On the other hand, I think it would be similarly naive to think nobody out of those millions was born with those tendencies either.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote