cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 06:54 PM   #71
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Never?

Read Isaiah, Deutero Isaiah or Trito Isaiah, and tell, historically, prophets of old never linked political views with salvation?

Are you willing to state that as a categorical, or in just this instance?

If you're not willing to make it a categorical imperative, then you're picking and choosing which issues are important to you.

As a general rule, I believe the Church will be well-served to avoid being involved in politics at all. However, I'm uncomfortable with the categorical proscription.
The federal government doesn't identify the LDS church as speaking for God.
Even if God wants prophets to opine on political issues, it's still unethical, so I think a categorical "just don't" is fine. This wouldn't even be a problem if there weren't so many people willing to believe/do whatever their religious leaders say.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:04 PM   #72
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
The federal government doesn't identify the LDS church as speaking for God.
Even if God wants prophets to opine on political issues, it's still unethical, so I think a categorical "just don't" is fine. This wouldn't even be a problem if there weren't so many people willing to believe/do whatever their religious leaders say.
Your argument is that religious people listening to leaders giving a political opinion is bad, but economic leaders, such as union leaders asking for a political stance are good.

Misguidance comes in many forms. We are wont to identify the misdeeds of religion, but how soon we forget its successes.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:19 PM   #73
woot

Quote:
Your argument is that religious people listening to leaders giving a political opinion is bad, but economic leaders, such as union leaders asking for a political stance are good.

Misguidance comes in many forms. We are wont to identify the misdeeds of religion, but how soon we forget its successes.
I've not said a word about unions. I'd be happy to hear of any successes you attribute to religion.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #74
Archaea

Quote:
I've not said a word about unions. I'd be happy to hear of any successes you attribute to religion.
Did the idea of a university originate out of any religious setting?

Did any of the black churches contribute significantly to Civil Rights?

Some religious conscience contributed to the pacifist movement of the sixties. Remeber the conscientious objector status?

Your position reminds of Bertrand Russell. http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/russell2.htm

Last edited by Archaea; 10-27-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:18 PM   #75
woot

Quote:
Did the idea of a university originate out of any religious setting?
Was there any other setting? You need to distinguish between things caused by religion and thing done either in spite of religion or just independent of religion.

Quote:
Did any of the black churches contribute significantly to Civil Rights?
And how many religious bigots were quoting the Bible in support of slavery? See above.

Quote:
Some religious conscience contributed to the pacifist movement of the sixties. Remeber the conscientious objector status?
Was religion necessary for that? Can causation really be proven in that case? If anything it was discriminatory, as I understand that one had to belong to a pacifist religion in order to receive conscientious objector status, although I'm not sure.

Quote:
Your position reminds of Bertrand Russell. http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/russell2.htm
I'm honored to be compared to such a great thinker.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:24 PM   #76
Archaea

Quote:
Was there any other setting? You need to distinguish between things caused by religion and thing done either in spite of religion or just independent of religion.

And how many religious bigots were quoting the Bible in support of slavery? See above.

Was religion necessary for that? Can causation really be proven in that case? If anything it was discriminatory, as I understand that one had to belong to a pacifist religion in order to receive conscientious objector status, although I'm not sure.

Talking to you is akin to talking to Tex, only in reverse.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:28 PM   #77
woot

Quote:
Talking to you is akin to talking to Tex, only in reverse.
I thought people didn't like Tex because he appeals to authority and doesn't back up his arguments with logic. I don't know if that's true, but if I'm the opposite of that stereotype, then I accept your compliment.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:37 PM   #78
Archaea

Quote:
I thought people didn't like Tex because he appeals to authority and doesn't back up his arguments with logic. I don't know if that's true, but if I'm the opposite of that stereotype, then I accept your compliment.
You ignore logic and stick to your "religions is always bad and contributes nothing" no matter the argument.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:39 PM   #79
woot

Quote:
You ignore logic and stick to your "religions is always bad and contributes nothing" no matter the argument.
You'd like to think that, but it seems the evidence is on my side, which is of course why I took this position to begin with. Why not just present an argument instead of resorting to ad hom? Are you conceding the point?
Old 10-27-2007, 09:41 PM   #80
Archaea

Quote:

The point you're ignoring is that religion is NOT monolithic, and the origins of most "universities" bear some relation to the religion of the culture, due to the need for authority and financial contributions from the ruling elite.

You ignore the black churches' contribution by appealing to non-religious bigotry. IOW, you ignore the valid example I cited.