cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2008, 02:57 PM   #71
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
It's a good possibility?

Obama has never had a real job. How is it just a possibility?

You really have Obama fever, don't you?
Of course Obama has had a "real job." And of course having a "real job" isn't a requirement to understand economics. You are swinging wildly here.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #72
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Of course Obama has had a "real job." And of course having a "real job" isn't a requirement to understand economics. You are swinging wildly here.
Ok, at one time, he had a real job as an attorney for a firm. Other than that, he has never had a job that wasn't in the real world.

Romney started his career with Bain and Company then started Bain Capital. His understanding of economics made Bain Capital extremely successful. He then went back to Bain and Company and brought itout of it's financial problems and made it even more successful than when he left to start Bain Capital. Then he took over for SLOC and not only brought it out of debt, but turned a profit. That is something that rarely happens with the Olympics.

So tell me, does your political god come even close to understanding the economy as Romney?

The only answer is no, he doesn't.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:08 PM   #73
Cali Coug

Quote:
Ok, at one time, he had a real job as an attorney for a firm. Other than that, he has never had a job that wasn't in the real world.

Romney started his career with Bain and Company then started Bain Capital. His understanding of economics made Bain Capital extremely successful. He then went back to Bain and Company and brought itout of it's financial problems and made it even more successful than when he left to start Bain Capital. Then he took over for SLOC and not only brought it out of debt, but turned a profit. That is something that rarely happens with the Olympics.

So tell me, does your political god come even close to understanding the economy as Romney?

The only answer is no, he doesn't.
You are being silly and are starting to sound like Archaea. "Unless Obama scaled Mt. Everest and made $12 billion by age 7, he cannot know a lot about economics."

There is no reason Obama has to have run or founded a venture capital company in order to have a solid understanding of economics. Many of the world's foremost experts on economics have never had a job in the "real world," as you would call it, having spent their entire lives in academia. I have no basis for knowing whether or not Obama's understanding of economics exceeds or is on par with Romney's, and neither do you. You have Romney's experience, but logically you can't concluded based on his experience that he knows more than Obama.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:13 PM   #74
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You are being silly and are starting to sound like Archaea. "Unless Obama scaled Mt. Everest and made $12 billion by age 7, he cannot know a lot about economics."

There is no reason Obama has to have run or founded a venture capital company in order to have a solid understanding of economics. Many of the world's foremost experts on economics have never had a job in the "real world," as you would call it, having spent their entire lives in academia. I have no basis for knowing whether or not Obama's understanding of economics exceeds or is on par with Romney's, and neither do you. You have Romney's experience, but logically you can't concluded based on his experience that he knows more than Obama.
Seems like to me, you just made the case for McCain.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #75
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Seems like to me, you just made the case for McCain.
???
Old 08-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #76
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:

No, Romney has real world experience with the economy that you are ignoring. Obama has none - or if he has any, he is keeping silent about it.

Those in academia have theories about the economy, but no practical experience. I'll take the word of a guy who has actually done something, rather than pontificate about it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #77
Cali Coug

Quote:
No, Romney has real world experience with the economy that you are ignoring. Obama has none - or if he has any, he is keeping silent about it.

Those in academia have theories about the economy, but no practical experience. I'll take the word of a guy who has actually done something, rather than pontificate about it.
I am not ignoring anything. In fact, his "real world experience" was the entire focus of my post.

Much of what Romney would have attempted as a venture capitalist would have been built on the ideas of those who "pontificate" in academia. It isn't like Romney came up with the ideas all by himself. To say conclusively that a person in academia knows less about economics than a person in "the real world" is baseless. How can you even prove something like that?
Old 08-13-2008, 09:54 PM   #78
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I am not ignoring anything. In fact, his "real world experience" was the entire focus of my post.

Much of what Romney would have attempted as a venture capitalist would have been built on the ideas of those who "pontificate" in academia. It isn't like Romney came up with the ideas all by himself. To say conclusively that a person in academia knows less about economics than a person in "the real world" is baseless. How can you even prove something like that?
I can't conclusively prove it. Nor can you prove that those in academia are expertise when it comes to the economy. Of course Romney took what he learned while in school and most likely applied a bit of several ideas in order to do it. But it's not like he relied solely upon the ideas of academia. He went out and made things happen by doing, not talking.

There is no hard proof that Obama understands the economy as well as Romney does. Is that a more acceptable statement?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #79
Cali Coug

Quote:
I can't conclusively prove it. Nor can you prove that those in academia are expertise when it comes to the economy. Of course Romney took what he learned while in school and most likely applied a bit of several ideas in order to do it. But it's not like he relied solely upon the ideas of academia. He went out and made things happen by doing, not talking.

There is no hard proof that Obama understands the economy as well as Romney does. Is that a more acceptable statement?
It is just as acceptable as "there is no hard proof that Romney understands the economy as well as Obama."

And those in academia specializing in economics are, by definition, experts in economics.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:02 PM   #80
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
It is just as acceptable as "there is no hard proof that Romney understands the economy as well as Obama."
This is unfathomably false. Look at what Romney has done with during his career and compare it to what Obama has done during his career.