cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 02:36 AM   #61
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
The contract is never settled unless it's in writing. Never. Every time people think they have a completely settled deal, it comes around to negotiations again when it's time to make up the contract. I've never seen an exception to that in any context, be it M&A or other, where significant sums of money are involved.
I am not a lawyer but I have been involved in lawsuits. I know that verbal settlement agreements in the state of Utah are enforceable if one party tries to back out of the verbal agreement later. Is the law that governs a contract different from the law that covers a settlement agreement?
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:01 AM   #62
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
This is a pretty reasonable position. I think that Whit would've done a fine job at BYU. As you note, he is a little rough around the edges and that might not have been what the BYU program or administrators needed at the time.
Maybe I am a bit over-simplistic in my views, but I think pretty much whoever would have inherited BYU in 2005 was set up nicely for success. Now, what degree of success is up for debate, but with the offensive talent in the program, and a solid defense, BYU was in a very good spot to be successful. In fact, I believe that had Kyle taken over in 2005 BYU would have had a better record in '05 than they did. But again, I still wouldn't trade Kyle for Bronco right now.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:06 AM   #63
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Maybe I am a bit over-simplistic in my views, but I think pretty much whoever would have inherited BYU in 2005 was set up nicely for success. Now, what degree of success is up for debate, but with the offensive talent in the program, and a solid defense, BYU was in a very good spot to be successful. In fact, I believe that had Kyle taken over in 2005 BYU would have had a better record in '05 than they did. But again, I still wouldn't trade Kyle for Bronco right now.
It's hard to say what would have been. Both coaches (today's version) are products of their experience over the last 2.5 seasons. Bronco has done a great job and I think he has the program going in the right direction. Kyle in the meantime has turned into Satan. TIC of course.

But that's not to say Kyle wouldn't have done great at BYU. Lots of people are assuming Kyle at BYU the last 2.5 years would = Kyle now. Can't say that. Too many other variables.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:42 AM   #64
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
Kryle as BYU coach instead of Bronco?

Kryle is a total jackass. His post game comments are just hilarious. Yeah, way to go Kryle! You really showed Joe Glenn how to be accountable for some comments he makes at a freaking school pep rally! LOL
Imagine that. A BYU grad a jackass.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #65
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
Kryle as BYU coach instead of Bronco?

Kryle is a total jackass. His post game comments are just hilarious. Yeah, way to go Kryle! You really showed Joe Glenn how to be accountable for some comments he makes at a freaking school pep rally! LOL
I will admit that I wanted Whittingham. I still think he is a solid HC, probably a good one. However, I don't think he is as good a HC as Bronco Mendenhall. I don't get into who fits into BYU better and whatnot, that is for a "Sex and the City" episode. Bronco wins more games than Kyle. I don't buy that Kyle has had insurmoutable obstacles placed in front of him that impede his success. He just isn't as good a head coach. This year is a clear demonstration of it. Kyle lost his top running back blah blah blah. His top runningback was the kid he wanted to redshirt. Being unable to recognize and coach talent is not a great sign of a head coach. This year Utah should clearly be better than BYU. Now with all their pieces in place, save Casteel, they are anything but a clear favorite over BYU when BYU is in a clear rebuilding year.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:49 PM   #66
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Only zoobs in Utah and surrounding areas wanted Whittingham. The rest of us couldn't conceive of someone that small-time being the coach.

Seriously, I had never heard Whittingham's voice until about a year ago.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #67
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Only zoobs in Utah and surrounding areas wanted Whittingham. The rest of us couldn't conceive of someone that small-time being the coach.

Seriously, I had never heard Whittingham's voice until about a year ago.
Who did you want? I didn't know there was anyone in the running more well known than Whittingham?

I wanted Chow but everyone told me I was an idiot for even saying it. I wanted Samuelsen and Holmoe to show up with Skousen gagged and handcuffed and force him to kiss Chow's feet and tell him he's sorry, then offer him a mill to coach and another 1.5 for his assistant coaches. Hey you can dream.

But KW was the one I wanted who had a reasonable chance for it.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #68
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Who did you want? I didn't know there was anyone in the running more well known than Whittingham?

I wanted Chow but everyone told me I was an idiot for even saying it. I wanted Samuelsen and Holmoe to show up with Skousen gagged and handcuffed and force him to kiss Chow's feet and tell him he's sorry, then offer him a mill to coach and another 1.5 for his assistant coaches. Hey you can dream.

I wanted Whittingham and my second choice was Reynolds. I wanted us to get back to our previous tradition because I thought Crowton had gotten away from it.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:15 PM   #69
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

Hell, Whittingham was a better choice than Chow.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:18 PM   #70
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Hell, Whittingham was a better choice than Chow.
We didn't have many choices and I personally thought Whit was better. Bronco has proven to be much better than I had originally guessed.

Whit is not a bad coach, not at all and BYU would have won with him. He does seem to experience hiccups and I don't believe he identifies talent like Mac did. Utah had Majerus with the best eye for talent in college basketball and Mac who wasn't the game coach that Majerus was, but he had an eye for talent better than Meyer or Whit. Why Mack wasn't starting is beyond me.