cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 03:13 PM   #61
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Did I do that? I don't remember that.

I do remember calling someone an apostate as a response to being called a mullah, but it was more to make a point than a serious allegation. Was that you? If it was, you probably deserved it, but I don't actually believe many here are true apostates (except those who proudly claim it).

Oh, you were not being "serious." You were just trying to make a "point." Of course! That clears everything up!

Does CES pay you by the word? Maybe you're funded by the Strengthening the Members committee?
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #62
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
May I suggest a book for both of you to read? It is by a prominent church author and filled with helpful advice.
Thanks, but I'm having a great day already!

By the way, I looked it up. I didn't call anyone in specific an apostate. It was actually meant to mock ChinoCoug.

SIEQ chose to be offended all on his own.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...0&postcount=54

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #63
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Oh, you were not being "serious." You were just trying to make a "point." Of course! That clears everything up!

Does CES pay you by the word? Maybe you're funded by the Strengthening the Members committee?
Here's another example.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...0&postcount=79

I work for the First Presidency. Be afraid.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #64
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Thanks, but I'm having a great day already!

By the way, I looked it up. I didn't call anyone in specific an apostate. It was actually meant to mock ChinoCoug.

SIEQ chose to be offended all on his own.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...0&postcount=54
That was not the only part of the exchange, and you know it. Of course that won't stop you from being deceptive--but whatever.

And "mullah" simply is not in the same league as "apostate."
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Old 11-05-2007, 03:22 PM   #65
Tex

Quote:
That was not the only part of the exchange, and you know it. Of course that won't stop you from being deceptive--but whatever.
I frankly don't understand why you are so mad. But if such a broad and weak accusation of "apostate" bothers you so much, maybe you'll think twice before dropping the words "mullah" and "fundie" on others.

Or maybe not. In either case, I'm done. Cheers!

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-05-2007, 03:25 PM   #66
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I frankly don't understand why you are so mad. But if such a broad and weak accusation of "apostate" bothers you so much, maybe you'll think twice before dropping the words "mullah" and "fundie" on others.

At least you didn't ask him what "alternative voice" meant.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:27 PM   #67
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:

Calling someone an apostate is serious business. It's meant to be an offensive description. Calling someone a "fundamentalist" does not have nearly the negative connotation. And "mullah" is meant to be playful in CGs usage, at least as I understand it. I may not like the fundamentalist approach to religion, but I'm fine with fundamentalists being the Church. By definition, no one wants apostates in the Church.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #68
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Calling someone an apostate is serious business. It's meant to be an offensive description. Calling someone a "fundamentalist" does not have nearly the negative connotation. And "mullah" is meant to be playful in CGs usage, at least as I understand it. I may not like the fundamentalist approach to religion, but I'm fine with fundamentalists being the Church. By definition, no one wants apostates in the Church.
Playful? Hmmm....

I think the Tex's linked post earlier was highly relevant. Some people take umbrage to being called apostate and he takes umbrage at being called a mullah.

Both labels are mostly unfair, except for those that have outed themselves as such.

For you to deny the pejorative value of mullah while still clinging to the moral outrage at the descriptive use of apostate towards others is intellectually disingenuous at best.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 11-05-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #69
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

I gotta agree with Indy; generally it is the offended that get's to decide what is and what is not offensive. Mullah and Apostate et al are all about context. To argue one is more offensive than another seems pointless.

Anyway, why don't SiEQ and Tex go get a room and just beat the hell out of each other.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #70
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Playful? Hmmm....

I think the Tex's linked post earlier was highly relevant. Some people take umbrage to being called apostate and he takes umbrage at being called a mullah.

Both labels are mostly unfair, except for those that have outed themselves as such.

For you to deny the pejorative value of mullah while still clinging to the moral outrage at the descriptive use of apostate towards others is intellectually disingenuous at best.
I hardly use the term "mullah," but there is no moral equivalence on this. "Apostate" is not a term that CG has appropriated to its own uses. What is so objectionable about mullah?