cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #61
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

So, BYU goes independent. What happens with all of the other sports? Why would a conference agree to keep all of the other sports and let BYU leave in football. Let me know how it goes in scheduling th women's volleyball team, the women's soccer team, etc. The BYU Athletic Department would crash and burn.

Last edited by UteStar; 08-24-2007 at 05:47 PM.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #62
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
So, BYU goes independent. What happens with all of the other sports? Why would a conference agree to keep all of the other sports and let BYU leave in football. Let me know how it goes in scheduling th women's volleyball team, the women's soccer team, etc. The BYU Athletic Department would crash and birth
Who cares. Big Sky.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #63
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Sometimes getting out of a so so marriage doesn't mean the next wife will be a trophy.
I'm not advocating going independent. But I think it's very clear that going independent is financially better and poses very little risk long term.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #64
dallas dan

dallas dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Are you not aware that we schedule four teams per year, currently? We schedule home and home's with large schools. We occasionally offer a 1 for 2 with a Notre Dame type school. We offer cash for a one home game contract with non-D1A or cruddy D1A schools occasionally. Home games bring in about $500K revenue, so we can afford to pay teams for that.
Four???? Try that with 11. That is ridiculous. What advantages would the BCS schools have with scheduling that many home and homes with us? None. Notre Dame can do it because they are Notre Dame.
dallas dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #65
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

Quote:
So, BYU goes independent. What happens with all of the other sports? Why would a conference agree to keep all of the other sports and let BYU leave in football. Let me know how it goes in scheduling th women's volleyball team, the women's soccer team, etc. The BYU Athletic Department would crash and birth
The Big Sky would jump for a chance to have BYU sports added.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Mark Twain
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:44 PM   #66
UteStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Who cares. Big Sky.
LOL...cool, congratulations on the Big Sky. No doubt the supporters will love the road trips to Eastern Washington, Sacramento and Montana State. I think you are on to something Mike.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:45 PM   #67
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is a legitimate argument, and maybe the only reason that keeps me from advocating more for independence.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:46 PM   #68
dallas dan

dallas dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm not advocating going independent. But I think it's very clear that going independent is financially better and poses very little risk long term.
Financially better??? Are you factoring in expenses? Why doesn't BYU ever travel to the east? It is very expensive. This is not rational to think that independent would be better financially. Going to a bowl game every four years is not going to provide the revenue necessary to keep it afloat. Unless you have access to the Athletic Department Financials, I find it hard to believe that independent is the answer financially.
dallas dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:47 PM   #69
UteStar

Quote:
This is a legitimate argument, and maybe the only reason that keeps me from advocating more for independence.
\

To be honest, it should be the only argument. It makes no sense financially. And on top of that, if BYU did do it for football and their teams went thru another Crowton era, well, BYU would quickly become BYU-P and athletics would be gone.

How is that for a doomsday scenario.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #70
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

Quote:
\

To be honest, it should be the only argument. It makes no sense financially. And on top of that, if BYU did do it for football and their teams went thru another Crowton era, well, BYU would quickly become BYU-P and athletics would be gone.

How is that for a doomsday scenario.

I thought the U would like that.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Mark Twain
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote