cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 10:01 PM   #61
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
ACtually, I question if MJ deserves the title King of Pop which was self-awarded and, if it ever was, has not been true since the 80s. Can't argue the others, however.
Give me someone who can even challenge MJ? Madonna comes the closest, but she would be the Queen. Not the King. Even if his reign ended in the 80's and altogether died with the release of History and everything has put out since, there is nobody since that can even touch him.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:22 PM   #62
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Give me someone who can even challenge MJ? Madonna comes the closest, but she would be the Queen. Not the King. Even if his reign ended in the 80's and altogether died with the release of History and everything has put out since, there is nobody since that can even touch him.
His wackiness aside, I agree with you.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:32 PM   #63
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Fusnik.
I would assume, and the plethora of lawyers here my disagree, that testifying in front of a Grand Jury would bring out the truth.

I don't really care if dude juiced, dude's the best player I've ever seen play, and probably will ever see, with or without the clear, or the cream, or his alleged drinking of steroid cocktails.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:44 PM   #64
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
I would assume, and the plethora of lawyers here my disagree, that testifying in front of a Grand Jury would bring out the truth.

I don't really care if dude juiced, dude's the best player I've ever seen play, and probably will ever see, with or without the clear, or the cream, or his alleged drinking of steroid cocktails.
Agreed. As I said before, he was the best before the juice era and the best during.

I read Monson's article this morning about Dale Murphy's rant about Bonds. Murphy said that if Hank took Barry's roids he'd have hit 855. A ridiculous claim in my opinion. I think it'd be safer to say that if Barry had 2,700 more at bats like Hank did he'd be at 855.

For the record I don't think steroids has as much affect in baseball as it does in other sports like football or cycling. I don't believe that muscle mass helps you hit the ball farther. The ball is harder and fields are smaller today. That alone I believe has had more to do with the number of home runs we see today than steroids. Plus pitching just isn't as great as it used to be. But this too can be attributed to the above reasons for the increase in dingers.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:11 PM   #65
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post

Translation = I accept, like and encourage dishonesty, cheating and lack of integrity.

Awesome.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:04 AM   #66
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Challenge him how? record sales? catchy lyrics? He sold a lot and wrote some nice catchy tunes, but the title King of Pop was nto claimed by him until after his hey day and was a cynicla effort to perpetuate his career after his star was deeply tarnished by his lack of hits and by his improper acitivites in Neverland. I refuse to acknowledge either his status as a king or the title itself.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:07 AM   #67
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I remember vividly when Hank Aaron broke the previous record. It was magical. The entire nation was enthralled. Does anybody give a rat's ass about Barry Bonds and this record? I don't.
Here are some numbers to back up my claim:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Yes, the number of media choices was far less back then, but I guarantee you that controversy surrounding Bonds is a big factor.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:32 AM   #68
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For the record I don't think steroids has as much affect in baseball as it does in other sports like football or cycling. I don't believe that muscle mass helps you hit the ball farther. The ball is harder and fields are smaller today. That alone I believe has had more to do with the number of home runs we see today than steroids. Plus pitching just isn't as great as it used to be. But this too can be attributed to the above reasons for the increase in dingers.
Oh come on. He had a stunning sudden increase in productivity during the same year that his head and his feet grew by two sizes. How can you possibly argue that it made little difference?

And the fact that he didn't need to do steroids to be a great player only makes it all the more maddening.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:41 AM   #69
fusnik11

Quote:
Oh come on. He had a stunning sudden increase in productivity during the same year that his head and his feet grew by two sizes. How can you possibly argue that it made little difference?

And the fact that he didn't need to do steroids to be a great player only makes it all the more maddening.
It's not an isolated trend with baseball players Lebowski.

Look at Clemens numbers pre-33 and post 38, he went from a washed up pitcher to being the most dominant right hander to probably ever pitch. Jamie Moyer still performs at 900, Julio Franco looks great at 1000, Sosa can still rake a year removed and a year older, the Gambler can still throw, as can the Braves triple head. (Now these guys aren't performing, save Clemens at the level Bonds did, point was it wouldn't surprise me if A-Rod, Howard, Fielder are still bombing in the late 30's)

Baseball players are extending their prime playing years by 3 years because of nutrition, work ethic, and trainers. When I was a kid baseball players didn't lift weights because it ruined their ability to play. Now they are extremely ripped and not solely because of PED.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:44 AM   #70
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Translation = I accept, like and encourage dishonesty, cheating and lack of integrity.

Awesome.
You chear for John Walsh?

You root for Jim McMahon?

Did you want Kevin Feterik to succeed?