cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #61
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Actually, Utah has an In and Out Burger now, just outside of St George.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:57 PM   #62
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Seriously, are there any museums in Utah outside LDS museums? I guess the U of U has a pretty good museum of natural history. Is there an art museum in Salt Lake?
How about the flight museum at Roy?

I also just wanted to point out that Idaho had one more city (Boise) on the list then Utah.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #63
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Ok...how about we settle it this way...
SU can lecture his 4yo on ancient history, avoiding at all costs any references to Mormonism, and DDD and Mars can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the 5 million other visitors in their exhaust-filled drives/traffic jams through Yosemite.

I guess I'll just have to take my poorly-educated backwoods children through the Zion slot canyons.

We're better off with y'all in your ignorant bliss.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #64
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Ok...how about we settle it this way...
SU can lecture his 4yo on ancient history, avoiding at all costs any references to Mormonism, and DDD and Mars can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the 5 million other visitors in their exhaust-filled drives/traffic jams through Yosemite.

I guess I'll just have to take my poorly-educated backwoods children through the Zion slot canyons.

We're better off with y'all in your ignorant bliss.
Amen, brother.

We are hiking the Subway again this year in June. Can't wait.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:50 PM   #65
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Amen, brother.

We are hiking the Subway again this year in June. Can't wait.
The Subway's a great hike, but if you haven't done it yet, you need to make it to Mystery Canyon. Permit/Lottery system like the Subway. There are 10+ rappels through the hike with the last one being a 100-footer down a waterfall into the Narrows. You hike the last mile or two of the Narrows to finish the hike. You can easily do it in a day. Really cool and more accessible than a lot of the other slots (and therefore really popular...).

I just wish they'd build a museum at the end.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #66
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
National park is of course a political designation, and places designated national parks invariably weren't in high demand for anything else when they were so designated.
Not completely true. Recent example is Grand Staircase-Escalante in Utah. Hugely disputed area declared a national monument by Clinton on his way out, as I recall. If no one really wants to use the land, there's not much of a point to declaring it a national park/monument.

By the way, Grand Staircase would be a national park in any other state.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #67
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Not completely true. Recent example is Grand Staircase-Escalante in Utah. Hugely disputed area declared a national monument by Clinton on his way out, as I recall. If no one really wants to use the land, there's not much of a point to declaring it a national park/monument.

By the way, Grand Staircase would be a national park in any other state.
Clinton wasn't on the way out. He made the illegal declaration that it was to be a National Monument in '96 in order to rally the fringe environmentalists to push him over the top to re-election. And the coward did it from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon because he was too big of a pussy to set foot in Utah.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #68
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Subway's a great hike, but if you haven't done it yet, you need to make it to Mystery Canyon. Permit/Lottery system like the Subway. There are 10+ rappels through the hike with the last one being a 100-footer down a waterfall into the Narrows. You hike the last mile or two of the Narrows to finish the hike. You can easily do it in a day. Really cool and more accessible than a lot of the other slots (and therefore really popular...).

I just wish they'd build a museum at the end.
Thanks. We have thought about doing that one. It looks fabulous. I wonder how my kids would handle a 100' rappel, but they are probably up for it now.

Have you ever done Orderville Canyon?

Don't take SU's condescension regarding national parks too seriously. His family owns a swank lodge/resort at Zion.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:24 PM   #69
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Thanks. We have thought about doing that one. It looks fabulous. I wonder how my kids would handle a 100' rappel, but they are probably up for it now.

Have you ever done Orderville Canyon?

Don't take SU's condescension regarding national parks too seriously. His family owns a swank lodge/resort at Zion.
We just moved here a year ago, and we have three kids under 7, so I haven't made it to Orderville yet. Looks cool though.

Like SU, I love the Pacific Northwest--it's amazing. And Yosemite's pretty cool too, if it weren't for all the people. But I just don't think there's anything to compare to southwestern Utah. I grew up in SLC and probably hiked every peak on the Wasatch Front, with the occasional foray down to southern Utah, but I had no idea just how much there is down here until living here.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:26 PM   #70
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
We just moved here a year ago, and we have three kids under 7, so I haven't made it to Orderville yet. Looks cool though.

Like SU, I love the Pacific Northwest--it's amazing. And Yosemite's pretty cool too, if it weren't for all the people. But I just don't think there's anything to compare to southwestern Utah. I grew up in SLC and probably hiked every peak on the Wasatch Front, with the occasional foray down to southern Utah, but I had no idea just how much there is down here until living here.
It is hard to compare to so much barren dirt.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote