cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2008, 12:41 AM   #61
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
think about the writer of the press release. He probably passed it around to a lot of people. Probably didn't any negative feedback at all. All feedback was "that's wonderful, and have you thought of adding this?" No one said, "that's unsupported" or "do we really want to say that?"

This is not that kind of place where something gets passed around and everyone pats you on the shoulder.

This is a place where sophistry is met with a challenge and a rebuttal.

Or sometimes it is met with a roll of the eyes and a click on the next thread.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:44 AM   #62
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
IMO...IMO. ...(again, this is all IMO)...IMO.
Thanks for that clarification. I was wondering whose opinion you were presenting.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:47 AM   #63
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Thanks for that clarification. I was wondering whose opinion you were presenting.
SOmetimes I seem to tick people of when I disagree with the majority approach so I wanted to make sure people understood. I am glad you caught that.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:54 AM   #64
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
IMO this board has plenty of juvenile and narcissistic comments. You can find plenty of intelligent discussion, but you have to pick and choose with whom and how you discuss certain topics, again IMO. Some of us that "fully support the church" tend to avoid the more strident, self-serving and histrionic posts (again, this is all IMO). SU thinks Mike's response to the press release was magnificent, I disagree (which is not to say I thought it was entirely incorrect, just that I was not nearly as impressed as SU was) . OTOH, I chose not to engage in that particular discussion because, as I have found discussing prop 8 with my neighbors, there doesn't seem to be much persuading going on on this topic, and I don't see the point in engaging in cyber-shouting about it. Even so, SU, Mike and others should not always assume silence is assent.

SO if you want reasonable discussion, I think this place is far better and more interesting than other LDS oriented sites I have found. But it is certainly not perfect. And, to be quite honest, this particular topic seems to bring out some of the worst traits of this or any other place (IMO).
I couldn't agree more. With nearly every point made here.

The Prop 8 debate has been done here to death and it tends to polarize and blind otherwise reasonable people. Don't judge the site on this debate.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:55 AM   #65
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not even pelagius could defend it.
Nice! I am glad to see I am held in such high esteem (or my pelagius alter ego is held in such high esteem) ... Ya me or ya kind of me!... Of course there are a few things that would have to happen before pelagius took a defensive position about said document. A couple of necessary ones would be, (1) I would have to read the document in question and (2) somehow I would have to get into my "pelagius" account. Anyways, carry on, but I'm not sure your statement is correct (although I suppose it could be true in the sense that maybe if I read it I wouldn't find it worth defending).

Last edited by pelagius; 08-24-2008 at 01:00 AM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:05 AM   #66
LA Ute

LA Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is not that kind of place where something gets passed around and everyone pats you on the shoulder.

This is a place where sophistry is met with a challenge and a rebuttal.
I see. Thank you for the guidance. Is this the the manner you typically communicate with people you know, let alone strangers? Just curious.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:10 AM   #67
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
If so, I am a little surprised. My time is limited and this is the sort of juvenile discussion I can get plenty of on the Ute board. Will someone please fill me in?
I am simply trying to do what is right. Admittedly, it annoys some people, but I have also found that it surprises the rest.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:41 AM   #68
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Mike, I understand that this is a personal issue for you and I appreciate your passion. However, this site could benefit from some new blood and I for one would be interested in getting to know LA Ute and hearing him out. Would it be such a bad thing if we were a little more civil to the new folks? It seems that every time a new kid shows up on your playground you immediately bloody his nose.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:00 AM   #69
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl D. View Post
Nice! I am glad to see I am held in such high esteem (or my pelagius alter ego is held in such high esteem) ... Ya me or ya kind of me!... Of course there are a few things that would have to happen before pelagius took a defensive position about said document. A couple of necessary ones would be, (1) I would have to read the document in question and (2) somehow I would have to get into my "pelagius" account. Anyways, carry on, but I'm not sure your statement is correct (although I suppose it could be true in the sense that maybe if I read it I wouldn't find it worth defending).
I agree. You gotta go with the pelagius brand before you opine on this one,
Old 08-24-2008, 02:27 AM   #70
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree. You gotta go with the pelagius brand before you opine on this one,
One a somewhat related note I found a new avatar for Waters?

Waters or DDD can you name the person and what movie the person stars in without searching?
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote