cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #61
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Well, as I recall, the book DID cause quite a stir for that very reason. But comparing him to an apostate is just unserious. The man was an apostle. I realize that doesn't count for much around here, but come on.
The difference between McConkie and the guy in AZ is what they do after a prophet or other authority leaders says "stop teaching that or we're going to call you an apostate and excommunicate you". Not that that ever happened to McConkie, but I'm sure McConkie would have stepped in line if anyone ever came after him. I think it's sad when anyone gets excommunicated, but apostacy is the one area I can see it is legit. If you tell someone to stop teaching something and they won't, then they are outside the boundaries of the church, and doing so rebelliously, with no intent to stop. That breaks the covenant of Christ, IMHO. It's not a sin of weakness.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:57 PM   #62
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Some think it is silly lose a testimony when they find out the church they belong to is based on lies and half truths. When I was temple goer, I remember the question, "Are you honest in all your dealings?" asked in my recommend interview. Members can spin it all they want, but the church has misled and lied thoughout its history. Why would it be silly for someone to have a problem with that? When I went to the Joseph Smith building with my family last year, the movie portrayed Joseph as a one woman man.

I would wager most Mormons would seek divorce if they found out their spouse was as dishonest as the church has been.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #63
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
Some think it is silly lose a testimony when they find out the church they belong to is based on lies and half truths. When I was temple goer, I remember the question, "Are you honest in all your dealings?" asked in my recommend interview. Members can spin it all they want, but the church has misled and lied thoughout its history. Why would it be silly for someone to have a problem with that? When I went to the Joseph Smith building with my family last year, the movie portrayed Joseph as a one woman man.

I would wager most Mormons would seek divorce if they found out their spouse was as dishonest as the church has been.
I really have no problem with someone who feels they have been misled leaving the church. Heck we ask others to do that all the time.

I don't see the need to publicly bash the church afterward though, unless they have been seriously damaged by the perceived deception.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #64
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I really have no problem with someone who feels they have been misled leaving the church. Heck we ask others to do that all the time.

I don't see the need to publicly bash the church afterward though, unless they have been seriously damaged by the perceived deception.
I don't see a need to bash it either. Living a good happy life should be good enough. I do think he is a little justified in going public, since the church made public statements about him. These people are his neighbors and friends. To announce his excommunication in church is petty and childish. I doubt it was done to protect members. It was most likely done to cause harm. The SP is obviously an asshole.He wants to establish his authority and let everyone know he is the boss.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:26 PM   #65
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
To announce his excommunication in church is petty and childish. I doubt it was done to protect members. It was most likely done to cause harm. The SP is obviously an asshole.He wants to establish his authority and let everyone know he is the boss.
Do you know the stake president, BlueHair?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:30 PM   #66
BYU71

Quote:
I don't see a need to bash it either. Living a good happy life should be good enough. I do think he is a little justified in going public, since the church made public statements about him. These people are his neighbors and friends. To announce his excommunication in church is petty and childish. I doubt it was done to protect members. It was most likely done to cause harm. The SP is obviously an asshole.He wants to establish his authority and let everyone know he is the boss.
I just don't know enough to make a judgement either way.

If the SP got carried away with his authority I can understand the fellow wanting to get his side out.

I think calling the guy a a-hole goes a little to far. There are just some personality types that when couple with religious leadership make them hard to take.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #67
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The Joseph Smith movie was bizarre: a dishonest love story between Joseph and Emma with ill-fitting references to Brigham and the 12 getting the keys and being his proper successors. Propaganda for sure. It is as if the truth isn't good enough for the Church so they must mislead and hide the truth. I think it shows incredible insecurities. And I don't think it is neccessary.
How do you incorporate a polygamous story line into a 70 minute movie without going off on some wild tangent that serves little towards the main point of the film?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:36 PM   #68
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
How do you incorporate a polygamous story line into a 70 minute movie without going off on some wild tangent that serves little towards the main point of the film?
Why would you incorporate a love story that wasn't?
Old 09-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #69
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I believe the SP was honest in his motivations. He knows his members can't handle the truth because he has spent his life hiding the truth from them--if he knows the truth himself. It is the Mormon version of Dostevsky's Grand Inquisitor: keep the people ignorant and faithful and the sin is on the head of the leader.

So he knows that this guy has info which would actually lead many of the flock astray. So he shuts the guy up and tells all the members to not listen to him. For their own good--he thinks.
The SP is probably one of those who thinks the flock is weak and has to be protected. Perhaps he is right, but in my experience far more people have been led astray by religious zealots in the church. Those that become tired with the simple basic truths of the gospel.

I will bet more gospel doctrine, Bishops and SP's have eventually taken people with them than some guy who has his feelings hurt he didn't know JS was a polygamist.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #70
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Why would you incorporate a love story that wasn't?
Joseph and Emma didn't love each other?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote