cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 11:40 PM   #61
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Bright View Post
I have quoted the dictionary twice and have made it abundantly clear that I am using the word as it is used in the 5 most common definitions.

There are so many influences in our society that lower inhibitions and promote unchaste behavior and the lowering of boundaries. I'm just trying to reinforce appropriate behavior and boundaries.
But you used the word in a specific context, using it to describe clothing. #7 is the definition of the word when used in such contexts. Dictionaries do not generally list definitions in order of commonality.

Also, you've admitted that you're talking about sex, so we all know where you're coming from at this point.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:42 PM   #62
Burning Bright

Burning Bright is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
So do you think it's fine that Muslims treat their women like cattle? The point of that sentiment was that the goal of preventing women from having premarital sex can lead to some extremely stupid practices. You might want to consider how important that goal is, how much control you actually have over that goal, and how far you are willing to go to enforce it.
There's a lot of things I dislike about the muslim religion and also some things that I do like. However, that's a whole other topic.

I don't think I can prevent my daughter from having premaritial sex. She has her free agency. I do think that I can teach her appropriate principles, boundaries and behavior. The rest will be up to her.
Burning Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:43 PM   #63
DapperDan

DapperDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm just saying that I want my daughter to behave and dress like a lady and to have definate boundaries with the opposite sex until she's married. I don't want her to be casual about stuff like that. Am not worried about her when she's 5, I'm training her in proper behavior now for when she's 16.
I fear for any sons you may have. Their world will shatter when they run into those 16 year old hussies with 11 years of public pajama wearing experience.

I look forward to hearing more on this troubling topic next General Conference.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:44 PM   #64
Burning Bright

Quote:
But you used the word in a specific context, using it to describe clothing. #7 is the definition of the word when used in such contexts. Dictionaries do not generally list definitions in order of commonality.

Also, you've admitted that you're talking about sex, so we all know where you're coming from at this point.

At five years old her pajamas are not sexy or immodest. They're intimate in the sense that they should be reserved for home. I tried to purposefully make that clear to avoid confusion, but apparently I failed.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:44 PM   #65
woot

Quote:
There's a lot of things I dislike about the muslim religion and also some things that I do like. However, that's a whole other topic.

I don't think I can prevent my daughter from having premaritial sex. She has her free agency. I do think that I can teach her appropriate principles, boundaries and behavior. The rest will be up to her.
And you think dictating the fabric of which her pants are constructed in the presence of boys is an appropriate boundary?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:46 PM   #66
Burning Bright

Quote:
And you think dictating the fabric of which her pants are constructed in the presence of boys is an appropriate boundary?
Yes. But it really has more to do with the purpose of the clothing than the type of material.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:46 PM   #67
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

BB, your opening question "Am I unreasonable?" has been answered over and over with a resounding yes. Meanwhile you seem convinced that everyone is wrong except for you.

It's good that you want to abhor anything unvirtuous, but you have spread that boundary too broadly on this issue.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:51 PM   #68
Burning Bright

Quote:
What, you think they list the most uncommon definitions first?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:58 PM   #69
woot

Quote:
What, you think they list the most uncommon definitions first?
Say it with me: context.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:59 PM   #70
Burning Bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
BB, your opening question "Am I unreasonable?" has been answered over and over with a resounding yes. Meanwhile you seem convinced that everyone is wrong except for you.

It's good that you want to abhor anything unvirtuous, but you have spread that boundary too broadly on this issue.
I'm really suprised at the overall sentiment. I thought they'd be more around 50-50 (even the MSNBC poll was more against than for). I'm really, sincerely, suprised.

Now I guess I need to evaluate and think about it. There are several options.

1- I am being unreasonable. I should lighten up.

2- I'm being unreasonable, but why take chances and what's it gonna hurt.

3- This board is full of degenerates who care less about the well being of their children than msnbc poll voters.

4- During the daytime, unrighteous, slothful cougar guard members are hanging out with nothing better to do than post on this board and once the working day has ended and the responsible, hard working cougar guard fans return home and start posting, public opinion will switch dramatically in my favor.

Hmm...I'll haveta think about this for a while. And also, you're a Ute, which cause me to question your judgement. But you seem to mean well so thank you for giving me something to think about.

Last edited by Burning Bright; 10-23-2007 at 12:03 AM.