cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2008, 02:52 AM   #61
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
The smartest and hottest elders with the best personalities get sent to the Paris France Mission. Just ask danimal.
And Mitt, too!

They were some really great guys, even those not from the U.S. The British were the funniest and the Portuguese were the best footballers. The Americans, well they were Americans, and for the most part, sharp guys.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:00 AM   #62
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
As far as cause and effect are concerned, I know too little to reach you the point Mike is with his suspicions.

As to the factual observations however, I agree that the wards probably don't function as well as they may have. Part of the problem there is the membership and part is the structure. I don't have an alternative structure or insights to add, as the problem seems unwieldy.

We're not as connected in the ward fabric as we once were. Are we the problem? Perhaps in part. Has society changed enough while the ward structure has not? Probably.

What are the solutions?
Solutions? Do your part. My wife and I have a "pseudo-goal" to once a month invite over established friends for dinner, games, BBQ, take our kids to the lake, whatever. And once a month invite someone new over for the same - new move-ins in the ward/neighborhood, ward members/neighbors who we'd like to get to know better/who seem to need friends, co-workers, families of our kids' friends, etc. In November, we had a couple over who had spent a month last summer in Bosnia, helping people restore/create photographic records that had been damaged during the conflict. The group they were with was sponsored by their church, and we talked about our missions as well. Very enjoyable, didn't ask them to listen to the missionaries, but they now know more about the church and (hopefully) have a more positive impression than they did before.

This probably wouldn't work for everyone, but the bottom line is, how much effort do you make to create a better ward? Just do a little something.

'Course, my involvement in these matters has probably just reconfirmed our neighbors preconceived notions of the weirdness of mormons.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:04 AM   #63
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn_stat View Post
Solutions? Do your part. My wife and I have a "pseudo-goal" to once a month invite over established friends for dinner, games, BBQ, take our kids to the lake, whatever. And once a month invite someone new over for the same - new move-ins in the ward/neighborhood, ward members/neighbors who we'd like to get to know better/who seem to need friends, co-workers, families of our kids' friends, etc. In November, we had a couple over who had spent a month last summer in Bosnia, helping people restore/create photographic records that had been damaged during the conflict. The group they were with was sponsored by their church, and we talked about our missions as well. Very enjoyable, didn't ask them to listen to the missionaries, but they now know more about the church and (hopefully) have a more positive impression than they did before.

This probably wouldn't work for everyone, but the bottom line is, how much effort do you make to create a better ward? Just do a little something.

'Course, my involvement in these matters has probably just reconfirmed our neighbors preconceived notions of the weirdness of mormons.
We've been in our ward for over 5 years, and I can think of only 4 famiies that have had us over for dinner. One of those would be danimal/marsupial, but that doesn't really count because we had let them stay at our house for a significant amount of time when they were trying to find a place to live.

All 3 of the other families that have had us over no longer live in our ward.

My parents used to invite people over all the time.

I'm trying to think how many we have had over at our house. Not that many. I guess I don't want people eating my Blue Bell.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:37 AM   #64
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

This will be a popular opinion on this board, but home teaching and visiting teaching go a long ways towards building a sense of community in a ward.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:39 AM   #65
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
This will be a popular opinion on this board, but home teaching and visiting teaching go a long ways towards building a sense of community in a ward.
I would hope you are correct but unfortunately in my several decade long association with the Church I have not witnessed it to be so.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:41 AM   #66
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I would hope you are correct but unfortunately in my several decade long association with the Church I have not witnessed it to be so.
Well, if it isn't done right it won't. Like with most things, it isn't the concept, it's the execution.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:45 PM   #67
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree. I have gained several friends through visiting teaching that I would not have otherwise made. It's helped me branch out from my usual circle of young moms or people I work with in my calling.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #68
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm a big believer in home teaching, and doing it right. That said, I've done pretty lousy at home teaching over the past couple of years. I have done it right at times, and when I do, it is fairly rewarding. For me, "doing it right" refers to having the attitude that these are God's children and my spiritual brothers and sisters, and I need to help them through the challenges in their lives. A once per month visit isn't home teaching, really, IMO. To me, it is sort of like training/homework for learning the second great commandment. If you can be assigned to a stranger and learn how to genuinely care about them, you are well on your way to becoming what you ought to be.

That said, I've got to go find my list so I can know the names of the people I'm supposed to be home teaching...
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote