cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 05:23 AM   #61
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread really turned ugly in a hurry!
Old 12-29-2005, 06:39 PM   #62
Iluvatar

Iluvatar
Default Hey all...

I'm sorry for stirring up such a hornet's nest...

I also feel I need to extend a public apology to fuegote. After reading it, that last bit was a little over the top. I'm truly sorry, fuegote (also sorry it's taken so long, I've been in Vegas and elsewhere).

That said, I still fear blind obedience. I worry that there is a sense in the church that when our church leaders speak, the argument is over. Even when asked to do something that we would all agree is fundamentally wrong (murder, adultery, etc.). I wish that we could all live according to our consciences, and not rely so much on the words of those in "authority". They make mistakes too.

FWIW
Old 12-29-2005, 07:15 PM   #63
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad you returned. I think that you'll find good discussion here.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:25 PM   #64
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
I'm glad you returned. I think that you'll find good discussion here.
i think one finds great discussion here....

my religious convictions and knowledge have been strengthened by conversations started here....
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:57 PM   #65
fuegote

fuegote

Me, I'm personally offended and won't return to church....

welcome back.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:42 PM   #66
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default There seems to be a concern about ...

... lying by Joseph and the early brethren before all the facts came out. But surely we can all see how the church was in a precarious position at that time and full disclosure may not have been a wise move. The following article which is often called Oaks's "Lying for the Lord" article may shed some more light on the dynamics of lying or misleading under certain circumstances.

http://www.lds-mormon.com/oakslying.shtml

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:51 PM   #67
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent article Dan. Thanks for posting it.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:06 PM   #68
Iluvatar

Iluvatar
Default Re: There seems to be a concern about ...

[quote="Dan"]... lying by Joseph and the early brethren before all the facts came out. But surely we can all see how the church was in a precarious position at that time and full disclosure may not have been a wise move. The following article which is often called Oaks's "Lying for the Lord" article may shed some more light on the dynamics of lying or misleading under certain circumstances.

"Precarious positions" don't make it alright to lie to, or mislead other people. One could very easily argue, using the same logic, that Bill Clinton was justified in saying "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky" before a grand jury. Surely we can all see how Mr. Clinton was in a precarious position at that time, and a full disclosure might not have been a wise move. Can't we?

Honesty isn't always convenient. And, despite efforts to distance ourselves from our past; polygamy, polyandry and the web of deception associated with it, will haunt us well into the forseeable future.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:17 PM   #69
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I agree, there's not a good reason to lie. I submit that to the extent that any member of the church, from the nursery to the First Presidency, deliberately says something that is false, it is wrong. Fortunately, we never claimed to have infallible leaders.

We hold the dictim "The Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing But the Truth" in high esteem. Sticking with "The Truth" and "Nothing But the Truth" are just fine, but inability to adhere to that bit about "The Whole Truth" doesn't bother me at all. The simple fact is, the human mind is not ready to handle all truth at once-- indeed, were he presented all aspects of the argument the volume of evidences on both sides of the debate would overwhelm and confuse him.

Admittedly, "The Truth, the Most Important Bits of the Truth, and Nothing But the Truth" isn't nearly as reassuring as its more ambitious counterpart, but it it does have the benefit of being both realistic and workable.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:24 PM   #70
Iluvatar

Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
I agree, there's not a good reason to lie. I submit that to the extent that any member of the church, from the nursery to the First Presidency, deliberately says something that is false, it is wrong. Fortunately, we never claimed to have infallible leaders.

We hold the dictim "The Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing But the Truth" in high esteem. Sticking with "The Truth" and "Nothing But the Truth" are just fine, but inability to adhere to that bit about "The Whole Truth" doesn't bother me at all. The simple fact is, the human mind is not ready to handle all truth at once-- indeed, were he presented all aspects of the argument the volume of evidences on both sides of the debate would overwhelm and confuse him.

Admittedly, "The Truth, the Most Important Bits of the Truth, and Nothing But the Truth" isn't nearly as reassuring as its more ambitious counterpart, but it it does have the benefit of being both realistic and workable.
Brilliant!