cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 05:24 PM   #51
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, since we're telling discipline horror stories...

I had a three year old piano student that was not ready to take lessons. Despite me informing his mother of this, she refused to quit. This boy would call me names, hit, and my personal favorite: spray me with his saliva throughout the lesson. All throughout, his mother just sat there and didn't do a thing. I wouldn't have kept him, but taught for a studio and didn't have a choice who my students were.

Finally, when he refused to do what I asked of him she started bribing him. Play the first note, he's get a pack of M&M's when he got home. The bribes kept getting bigger, and by the end of his lesson, he was going to get a whole lot of candy, and a whole set of new toys.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:38 PM   #52
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

My children are the perfect examples of decorum and obedience. They are so quiet, not even the Church mice know they are there, but there they are, sound asleep until Sunday School is ready to start.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #53
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
Well, since we're telling discipline horror stories...

I had a three year old piano student that was not ready to take lessons. Despite me informing his mother of this, she refused to quit. This boy would call me names, hit, and my personal favorite: spray me with his saliva throughout the lesson. All throughout, his mother just sat there and didn't do a thing. I wouldn't have kept him, but taught for a studio and didn't have a choice who my students were.

Finally, when he refused to do what I asked of him she started bribing him. Play the first note, he's get a pack of M&M's when he got home. The bribes kept getting bigger, and by the end of his lesson, he was going to get a whole lot of candy, and a whole set of new toys.
This is hard to balance. I take my six year old to martial arts and he certainly doesn't spit or hit the teacher or anything like that or even goof off that much but sometimes he daydreams and asks impertinent questions or talks too much or may not give it his all (actually, there is a little girl who makes all other kids look like a angels in terms of bad behavior). Sometimes I feel tempted to shout out to my boy that he better focus and get his ass in gear or there will be hell to pay. But I keep my mouth shut because I figure it's the teacher's realm and whatever he does is okay with me. That's why I pay him the big bucks. He actually is very temporate and strikes just the right note of combined firmness and patience and persistence. He also does pushups better than anyone I've ever seen so on rare occasions when he orders pushups to reprimand I figure there are multiple lessons being taught.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #54
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Had a family in our ward who took the hands off approach. In fact they didn't even sit with their kids in the chapel but would sit in a pew all by themselves and their kids would just go nuts. Man, those kids were a pain in primary.

Had another family growing up in California like this. Their oldest daughter was a brat beyond anything I can describe. She would also act out violently when she didn't get her way including kicking our YM Pres. square in the nuts at mutual one night. On one swimming activity for some reason, completely unprovoked, she grabbed me by the hair and pulled me under and would not let go of my hair. When I wrestled her hand free, I grabbed the top of her head and held her underwater for a good minute. I had nail marks in my wrists that broke skin and bled from her trying to get loose. I let her go before she went completely limp. She coughed up a ton of water but she never was a brat to me again after that.
Excellent. Some kids don't understand anything less than that.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #55
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
It looks like you guys don't like my parenting theory.

All I know is that we discipline less than the typical LDS family with our toddlers, and our kids age 5-13 are tops in the ward/school, etc. when it comes to obedience, showing respect to adults, reverence, confidence, grades, work ethic, etc (not to mention talented, good looking, and popular--OK I'm an over-the-top doting/bragging dad). As toddlers they get compared negatively to their cousins at the family outings as being hellions, but then later on its their cousins that develop the real problems. I'll let you know if they turn into drug addicts later on. I don't take credit, and it may be just luck.
So not only are you a "Kids Gone Wild" type of parent you're also a "My precious little angel could never do anything wrong" type as well?

NOTE: I think I'm going to follow SU in at least one area and that is to not use smileys. The smiley just bugs me for some reason.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:54 PM   #56
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
So not only are you a "Kids Gone Wild" type of parent you're also a "My precious little angel could never do anything wrong" type as well?

NOTE: I think I'm going to follow SU in at least one area and that is to not use smileys. The smiley just bugs me for some reason.

Well I could have used data and statistics to prove my case, but that would have been even more over-the-top.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:05 PM   #57
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
My children are the perfect examples of decorum and obedience. They are so quiet, not even the Church mice know they are there, but there they are, sound asleep until Sunday School is ready to start.
The joy of having teenagers.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:23 AM   #58
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Wow, mean and grumpy.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:55 AM   #59
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Wow, mean and grumpy.
They didn't give me this name for nothin'...
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:24 PM   #60
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone else think Mike's bishop is a dumbass?

If I was in your ward I'd take my nieces and nephews to church, load them up with Red Bull's before church and sit them front row and center.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote