cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2008, 03:08 PM   #51
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default BTW..........I always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Mike, when you're getting your ass kicked by exUte, you know it's time to hang up the cleats. You sure had a good run though.
do the sniff test whenever BRM is quoted. You ought to read "David O McKay: The Rise of Modern Mormonism". It goes into detail about the friction Mormon Doctrine caused between BRM and DOM as well as other apostles.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:08 PM   #52
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

My concern isn't about attribution. This site isn't an academic journal. I'm more interested in the points made rather than the source.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #53
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
You ought to read "David O McKay: The Rise of Modern Mormonism". It goes into detail about the friction Mormon Doctrine caused between BRM and DOM as well as other apostles.
LOL. That is awesome.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #54
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Mike's gotta have something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
My concern isn't about attribution. This site isn't an academic journal. I'm more interested in the points made rather than the source.
to complain about. He's turning into another el Jefe. The guy he despised so much.

I guess that's the beauty of being the owner of this message board. You can pick and choose which rules to apply to which poster.

What I still find reprehensible is using private information gleaned through a charitable cause. I won't explain, but Mike surely knows.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #55
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I find it reprehensible that mikewaters and archaea have given me negative feedback, thereby resulting in a red square in my profile.

I am hereby asking that everyone give me as much positive feedback as possible so I can get back to being an unknown quantity at this point.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #56
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
to complain about. He's turning into another el Jefe. The guy he despised so much.

I guess that's the beauty of being the owner of this message board. You can pick and choose which rules to apply to which poster.

What I still find reprehensible is using private information gleaned through a charitable cause. I won't explain, but Mike surely knows.
Oh you think I gave out your name to the people who are tormenting you. I never did any such thing, and frankly, don't even remember the names of those that donated.

I've never given a single name to anyone.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #57
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
attribute his reference? Oh, I didn't think so.

Pick and choose.

BTW.......here's a real abstract on suicide in Utah. What do you glean from this?

http://pt.wkhealth.com/pt/re/ajep/ab...195628!8091!-1
I'm going to once again break my rule and respond to you.

Try reading the thread again. Yes, I cited my source. I also specifically pointed out that I'm not condemning the Church on this issue. I also realize BRM made significant progress on this issue. I have no idea how one ever makes his original statement; I think the idea of Asperger's playing a role would actually explain a lot and avoid condemning what is an extremely insensitive statement. However, the fact that he revised things (whether under pressure from above or not) shows some understanding on his part.

A little study in the scientific method may aid you in interpreting the data in your study. Simply put, this is the weakest form of study data available. It's association vs causation and while it's not useless, it's pretty close. What the data show is that in Utah, kids who are active in the church have lower suicide rates than those who aren't. Whether the activity is a result of their improved psychological health or vice versa is impossible to tell from this type of study. One might also wonder if those kids who just don't fit in to the dominant culture in Utah are more likely to be driven to suicide. Just a couple of possible objections off the top of my head.

I'm sorry, everyone--I've promised not to engage with this bird-man. I just can't help it. I'm done now.

Last edited by ERCougar; 09-24-2008 at 04:05 PM.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #58
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

2) Unsubstantiated Mormon folklore. Google search turned up NOTHING.
And to think you graduated from an esteemed research university, yet you apparently surmise that if you can't find proof of something by a Google search, it must not exist. Googlito ergo sum. Twit. Did you really think such a trivial incident would perforce be immortalized in cyberspace?

The conversation to which I was privy occurred between sessions of a local stake conference approximately 18 months ago. The casual conversation, involving two GAs, a stake president, and a token peon, began with a mention of how many people faint while giving a talk. Apparently knees lock, circulation to the brain is reduced, and people pass out. The GAs mentioned this had happened dozens of time over a few decades during their visits. But one GA (and I won't identify him, sorry) said the most famous such experience (apparently discussed frequently by the brethren on wet afternoons) was the one I recited previously, and the other GA nodded with a knowing smile. The story was told with some degree of affection about Elder McConkie's intensity, not with the intent to disparage him.

BTW, I googled "exUte" and "personality" and I didn't get anything either.

Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 09-24-2008 at 04:04 PM.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #59
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
BTW, I googled "exUte" and "personality" and I didn't get anything either.
And that is awesomer.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #60
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I find it reprehensible that mikewaters and archaea have given me negative feedback, thereby resulting in a red square in my profile.

I am hereby asking that everyone give me as much positive feedback as possible so I can get back to being an unknown quantity at this point.
This should be a point of pride for you! You've passed Lingo, AShaf, and exUte and even SU in negative feedback. Poor Seattle. He must be beside himself...There's a new villain in town.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote