cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #51
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
What's a nombrit? I don't know that word.

belly button, although it was supposed to be nombril (l, not a t; sorry).
Old 04-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #52
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
It's just tougher to find God whilst immersed in ancient Greek texts.
Hey, now . . .
Old 04-11-2008, 10:03 PM   #53
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
So you do believe that man SHOULD constrain God with his own ethics, and hence your entire argument is basically shot all to hell.

You can't have it both ways - either God is comprehend-able by man or he is not. If you agree with SU that an 'intervening God' would not allow the suffering in Bosnia to happen, you are constraining Him with your own ethics, and therefore you MUST believe that God is conceivable by man.

And if God is conceivable by man, you must admit that man can come to know Him on a personal level.
Let's go ahead and stop putting words onto my keyboard. I agreed with this post by Seattle Ute: http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...34&postcount=1

I don't know if anything is truly believable about god. I'm not trying to sound obtuse - it's just an obtuse topic. God is what god is.

Humans assume or believe that God is somehow ethically comparable to their own ideals. "He" "loves" or "cares" or is "happy" with us, or whatever. It's very narcissistic, in my opinion, to claim that what is important to you is important to god.

Let me turn it around a little, how does anyone know that god isn't some kind of omnipotent asshole, delighting in human struggle and misery because it makes good drama.

Reminds me of the South Park episode where the kids find out that "Earth" is just an intergalactic reality TV show.

I generally don't think we know anything about god for sure.

If people have mystical experiences where they feel connected to the divine, that's great for them. But maybe . . . just maybe . . . the entire picture is a little bigger than they realize.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:06 PM   #54
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm trying to do my part to keep the Religion Section a positive place, where the Cougarguard intelligentsia can pat themselves on the back and congratulate one another for being "liberal faithfuls."
A viral condition, to be sure.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #55
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
If people have mystical experiences where they feel connected to the divine, that's great for them. But maybe . . . just maybe . . . the entire picture is a little bigger than they realize.
And he puzzled three hours, till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Solon thought of something he hadn't before!
"Maybe God," he thought, "doesn't come from a store."
"Maybe God...perhaps...means a little bit more!"

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:22 PM   #56
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Well done, good sir.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:29 PM   #57
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
LOL! Seattle we just keep coming and coming....resistance is futile!
That's what she said.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #58
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
For a pussy TO Lancer that was pretty funny.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:10 AM   #59
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
SeattleUte nailed it.

If God is actively engaged in the lives of his children, why does he allow the horrible things to happen?

FMCoug, are you saying the victims of the horrors are at fault because they don't supplicate Him and ask him to change the horror befalling them?

Are you saying that the horrors are his will for them?

It is very easy to be a chubby bankrupt living in a McMansion in wasteland suburbia Texas sucking the BBQ off your stubby fingers as you turn the pages of your Grant Von Harrison psycho-babble missionary brainwashing text and tell the world God is actively involved in their lives because you see his hand daily direct you to the best cheese fries in the lone star state or inspire you to add another worthless square foot of foyer or another foot of roof-line height to your conspicuous consumption cushion-couch existence.

You think God is active in your life because you remember you left the deep fryer on after enjoying your second breakfast of deep-fried Texas twinkies and turn around half way to the Heston Memorial gun show and brisket bake where you are hoping to pick up a .50 caliber sniper rifle. You cite this incident as proof that God is active in your life tearfully in your testimony after the travelogue of enduring the single hotel room at Corpus Christi beach with your sleep apnea mother-in-law who forced you to eat at IHOP every morning and watch her slop down a double order of the cream cheese stuffed french toast and a tall stack smothered with syrup AND strawberries.

God isn't actively intervening in the life of the 13 year old Ukrainian girl kidnapped into Turkish prostitution or the Namibian AIDS baby who dies at three years old because the local clinic ran out of medicine this month.

You think because you live a fat life of deficit spending emotional bliss God's hand is patting your ample behind as you walk down the primrose path. Maybe that patting is just your diaper full and sloshing around and God's hand isn't anywhere near your ample arse.

But I could be wrong and God doesn't value agency as much as the scriptures say he does. Maybe he really is just cruel and capricious and discriminating in his love and blessings. Maybe he does resemble Genghis Khan more than Gandhi and you are right. If so, I do not long to be in his heaven and will reject his creation as it is unjust.

This is perhaps the most offensive post I have read on this site. Truly obnoxious and devoid of any of the christian principles that you claim to practice. You're a smart guy but if I had to spew your brand of cantankerous bile to be as smart, I would prefer to be stupid.

You have appeared here repeatedly and you post intersting content but frequently in an incredibly arrogant and rude fashion. You then typically recant, but to what end? For as smart as you are, you sure have a hard time learning from your admitted mistakes.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:14 AM   #60
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This is perhaps the most offensive post I have read on this site. Truly obnoxious and devoid of any of the christian principles that you claim to practice. You're a smart guy but if I had to spew your brand of cantankerous bile to be as smart, I would prefer to be stupid.

You have appeared here repeatedly and you post intersting content but frequently in an incredibly arrogant and rude fashion. You then typically recant, but to what end? For as smart as you are, you sure have a hard time learning from your admitted mistakes.
PAC remembers some of these posts. Ever once in a while, he pens a dandy. This one reminds me of one of his posts from CB.