cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are the look-a-like posts on CB racist?
Yes 8 26.67%
No 22 73.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2007, 08:42 PM   #51
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
... could it be that this is just a ridiculous exercise fomented by someone that seems keen on repeatedly chronicling the past foibles of our LDS forefathers?
Indy, I may be over-reacting in this case. I will acknowledge that. And we can debate whether or not Buckwheat is a racial caricature. But I can assure you that no matter what you or I personally may believe, our "past foibles" are a huge issue with AA's.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:46 PM   #52
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
This is not racist at all, the dude looks like buckwheat whether he is black, white, purple or yellow, he looks like buckwheat. I personally think its funny, now if he posted his pic and then said looks like: and had a picture of a monkey then you would be on to something, or on another board there was a jewish player and they had an ashtray as a comparison.
I completely agree that he looks a lot like Buckwheat. I even chuckled a bit when I saw it. But it make me uncomfortable.

Let's put it this way, would it have still been funny if someone had posted an image of the old Disney "Little Black Sambo" character? It's simply a question of where you draw the line.

Again, I could be totally off-base, but that's the way I saw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
But this is a stretch even for you. Nikuman was not trying ot offend anyone with this post.
Did anyone claim that Nikuman was intentionally trying to offend anyone? Certainly not me.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:51 PM   #53
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
In general I agree, and try to conduct myself that way, and teach my children the same. But I wonder if in all this effort to not offend we make assumptions that are incorrect (Like, are all black people offended by Buckwheat, or just some? And in what context? If some are, do I change just for them?). It diminishes dialogue and experience when we are too sensitive.
Good question. It's a pity we don't have some blacks here on CG. That would lead to some great discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I will now refrain from referring to Buckwheat and laughing at him and his antics (does this mean I can't laugh at EMurphy's mocerky of Buckwheat?) and suggest others do the same. This shouldn't be difficult, since I wasn't doing a lot of that anyway. But where do we draw the line? Can we not mock anything that is black? or Asian (not Oriental!!!!)? or Jewish?
Clearly an over-reaction. But I guarantee you that if a white actor was lampooning the Buckwheat character, there would be an outrage.

Coincidentally, Eddie Murphy is taking some real heat lately for hosting a new show on BET called "Hot Ghetto Mess" that lampoons black ghetto culture.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:07 PM   #54
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Indy, I may be over-reacting in this case. I will acknowledge that. And we can debate whether or not Buckwheat is a racial caricature. But I can assure you that no matter what you or I personally may believe, our "past foibles" are a huge issue with AA's.
And in some cases, it's justified. Institutionalized racism is all but destroyed in America, but that doesn't mean there aren't people who still harbor those views in private.

But answer me this, Leb. If, after 40+ years since civil rights, and 140+ years since slavery, whites still need need to be cautious with the race question, don't you think it's time blacks start putting to rest some of their "issues" too?
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:14 PM   #55
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
And in some cases, it's justified. Institutionalized racism is all but destroyed in America, but that doesn't mean there aren't people who still harbor those views in private.

But answer me this, Leb. If, after 40+ years since civil rights, and 140+ years since slavery, whites still need need to be cautious with the race question, don't you think it's time blacks start putting to rest some of their "issues" too?

Let's let other people decide that rather than a white, Mormon, anti-immigration, Republican male.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:15 PM   #56
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Let's let other people decide that rather than a white, Mormon, anti-immigration, Republican male.
Do I get to decide when someone makes a racist comment about white people?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:20 PM   #57
jay santos

Quote:
Do I get to decide when someone makes a racist comment about white people?
Sure. But unless you're part of a minority group with a long history of being racially discriminated against, it might not carry much weight.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:21 PM   #58
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Sure. But unless you're part of a minority group with a long history of being racially discriminated against, it might not carry much weight.
Racism is racism, n'est pas?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:26 PM   #59
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nope. As santos wonderfully demonstrates, racism only matters if you're a minority ... and too, one that has been unfairly treated in the past.

PS. I'm not anti-immigration. I don't know where you people get this stuff from.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:30 PM   #60
jay santos

Quote:
A great tactic for the majority group when cries of racism are being used to expose abuse or erode their advantage is to mimic the cries of racism in reverse. This muddies the picture enough to slow down the trend. I see this A LOT from racist white people.