cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 03:44 PM   #51
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
Are you saying I was unsophisticated at 17? Sometimes a reread of a book carries less weight than it used to. Sometimes it becomes more profound. I guess that's when you know it's a great book.

No mention of Hemingway from anyone?
I did really like For Whom the Bell Tolls.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:45 PM   #52
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I would NEVER attempt to make a list of the ten greatest books since I can't imagine having read enough books to feel qualified to make such a presumption.

I agree with this. My list was not my own; it was my prediction as to what a poll of academics would select as the top ten. I will boast, however, that I have read seven of the ones I identified, and they would all make my top ten list of personal favorites. I have not read the Divine Comedy, Paradise Lost or Don Quixote.

Note that they all deal with man and his relationship with God or gods in some significant manner. In my personal top ten I would add Great Short Works of Leo Tolstoy, On the Nature of the Universe, and Blood Meridian.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:03 PM   #53
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Any list of great books must have Catch-22 on it. I refuse to take any other list seriously.

In addition my list would include:
Don Quixote
Grapes of Wrath
One Flew Over the CUckoo's Nest
Watership Down
Hiroshima
That's a good list. Watership Down is the only book I haven't read and may need to pick up a copy since I enjoyed the others listed. Hiroshima I read in an AP Chemistry class in HS. It was required reading. I always thought that was interesting. It sure beat the hell out of the electron cloud configuration.

I also liked Cali Coug's mentioning of Lord of the Flies. As far as other books I read while a teen that I loved would be anything by Robert Cormier. I Am the Cheese and The Chocolate War stand out.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"

Last edited by Surfah; 01-23-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:25 PM   #54
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Any list of great books must have Catch-22 on it. I refuse to take any other list seriously.

In addition my list would include:
Don Quixote
Grapes of Wrath
One Flew Over the CUckoo's Nest
Watership Down
Hiroshima
Pardon my ignorance (again), but several books have been published with the title "Hiroshima". Are you referring to the John Hersey book?
Old 01-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #55
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
That's a good list. Watership Down is the only book I haven't read and may need to pick up a copy since I enjoyed the others listed. Hiroshima I read in an AP Chemistry class in HS. It was required reading. I always thought that was interesting. It sure beat the hell out of the electron cloud configuration.

I also liked Cali Coug's mentioning of Lord of the Flies. As far as other books I read while a teen that I loved would be anything by Robert Cormier. I Am the Cheese and The Chocolate War stand out.
I love Hiroshima (as much as one can love a book about the aftermath of an atomic bomb being dropped) and not many people have heard of it.

As for Watership Down, it is a kid's book, but I loved it so much as a kid that I had to include it.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:29 PM   #56
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Pardon my ignorance (again), but several books have been published with the title "Hiroshima". Are you referring to the John Hersey book?
Yes, that is the one. It is a first hand account of the aftermath of the dropping of the atomic bomb.

I also love "A Bell for Adano" by John Hersey. Two of my favorites and very sentimental, because my dad gave me his copies from growing up.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:52 PM   #57
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Best List, I don't know...but man, when I was in high school, I sure thought 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' was an amazing book. I haven't read it since then but it sure did stick in my head for a lot of years.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:05 PM   #58
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
Since you like satire, I was wondering if you have read A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole?
I have not, perhaps I will check that one out. Yes I think it is obvious from my list that I enjoy satire.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #59
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I have not, perhaps I will check that one out. Yes I think it is obvious from my list that I enjoy satire.
I've started it many times, just never finished it.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #60
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I did really like For Whom the Bell Tolls.
Me too.