cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #51
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
No, I don't feel baited.

We're dealing with two questions:

1. Do 100% of blessings come 100% from obedience? Though I recognize how it reads, I'm not sure it's intended to be interpreted as a quid pro quo. We are taught by Benjamin that if anything, we are overpaid for our righteous acts.

Now this gets a little dicey, because some folks have the El Paso Coug experience, where no matter how hard they try, they feel God has it in for them. I know many older singles who have tried to live righteous lives, have righteous desires to be married and a family, and cannot obtain that blessing. And it's a serious trial of faith.

Others have financial difficulties. Others have health problems. I have a friend of the family who was in a small plane crash recently and survived, but is still in the hospital and very much injured. Are these blessings in disguise? Maybe. Hardly.

I think we have to recognize that obedience to the gospel has it's own rewards, despite the type II and type III trials (see below) we experience. Happiness can be found in the most dire of circumstances by holding fast to its principles. Wickedness (type I, see below) has it's own "reward."

And for those who are "blessed" with good health, happy family life, and temporal wealth, it is further incumbent upon them to redouble their effort toward the gospel, to "bless" the lives of those who don't.

2. Does it therefore follow that trials are a result of disobedience? No. Elder Maxwell taught there were at least 3 forms of suffering: (1) trials brought on by own our disobedience, (2) trials existing as a part of mortal probation, and (3) specific trials deliberately perpetrated/permitted by a loving God with the intent to tutor us.

Take the man blind from birth. "Who did sin, this man or his parents?" Neither, right? What about Job? The realm of trials and their sources is in my opinion an entirely separate question from the realm of blessings.
Well, that's a reasonable approach and I can't see anything in there with which I would disagree. But I don't think it is logically consistent with a literal reading of the D&C scripture.

Oh well. Chalk it up as a mystery I suppose.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:30 PM   #52
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Well, that's a reasonable approach and I can't see anything in there with which I would disagree. But I don't think it is logically consistent with a literal reading of the D&C scripture.
Perhaps. It depends on your approach to scripture, I guess. I view the scriptures more as manifestations of the truth than definitions of it. Thus, scriptures that appear contradictory (especially when taken in isolation) can have different meanings when understood in tandem.

Language is an imperfect medium, after all.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:52 AM   #53
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Oh well. Chalk it up as a mystery I suppose.
You're an engineer, right? You're looking for that equal and opposite reaction.

See, I do remember something from that GenEd class as a freshman.

BTW, I'm trying to talk my daughter into going into engineering. I hear it's a sellers market. Frankly I don't hold out much hope, but I'm making my pitch.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:17 AM   #54
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
You're an engineer, right? You're looking for that equal and opposite reaction.

See, I do remember something from that GenEd class as a freshman.
Newton's third law of motion? Maybe.

How do interpret the scripture? Do you see my point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
BTW, I'm trying to talk my daughter into going into engineering. I hear it's a sellers market. Frankly I don't hold out much hope, but I'm making my pitch.
Yes, it's never been hotter. Keep making your pitch, brother. Beats the heck out of majoring in French in terms of job security.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:37 AM   #55
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
So what about my original question--is every blessing in my life the result of obedience to some principle? My health? My citizenship in this country? My children?
Depends on how you define "blessing." If you define it as something good that happens in your life caused by God's will, then yeah, I would say those would only be due to obedience. That's not to say that good things won't also happen in one's life anyway, due to luck, or making intelligent decisions.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #56
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Why do we need God if blessings/cursings are encased in "laws".
Gravity functions pretty well w/o God yanking on my leg to pull me off the roof if I get near the edge.
God is an asshole if he acts this way.
Any kid would be a mess if a parent only rewarded obedience. Complete obedience is impossible. It's all about the mercy, man. That's why God is so cool.
How many books/movies end w/ someone spraying their gray matter on a wall because they can't live up to the expectations of a parent or parent figure?

The curious scriptures in the D&C have been discussed a little, and there has been some head scratching.
The Law of Moses was a means to an end. A bunch of slaves who didn't know how to think for themselves. Had to be told not to hump sheep. The Law taught them some things, made them better. And then they were ready for something better, something different. Something else that was a means to end.

Like Isaiah said, your ways are not my ways. A means to an end. I think it's important to always keep that perspective in mind.

peace.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #57
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Why do we need God if blessings/cursings are encased in "laws".
Gravity functions pretty well w/o God yanking on my leg to pull me off the roof if I get near the edge.
God is an asshole if he acts this way.
Any kid would be a mess if a parent only rewarded obedience. Complete obedience is impossible. It's all about the mercy, man. That's why God is so cool.
How many books/movies end w/ someone spraying their gray matter on a wall because they can't live up to the expectations of a parent or parent figure?

The curious scriptures in the D&C have been discussed a little, and there has been some head scratching.
The Law of Moses was a means to an end. A bunch of slaves who didn't know how to think for themselves. Had to be told not to hump sheep. The Law taught them some things, made them better. And then they were ready for something better, something different. Something else that was a means to end.

Like Isaiah said, your ways are not my ways. A means to an end. I think it's important to always keep that perspective in mind.

peace.
You would make an excellent seminary teacher.