cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2008, 02:05 AM   #51
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
what states will Romney win?

What big names have endorsed Romney?

Huckabee prevents Romney from winning in southern states.

even if they went to convention, every other single candidate would endorse McCain.

Talk by reporters of GOP power brokers "consolidating" around McCain.

In polls, Romney's electability in general election is low.
What big names have endorsed McCain?

Romney can win plenty of delegates from California. It is not winner take all. You get 3 delegates for each Congressional district you win. There's also Utah, Colorado, Montanan, Alaska, and a few other states Romney can win.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:16 AM   #52
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I am honestly shocked that people are already naming McCain the unavoidable nominee.
I didn't say McCain was unavoidable, but he's "in charge of his own destiny" as we say in football. Assuming he doesn't stumble along the way somewhere, the nomination is his to lose.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:22 AM   #53
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Cougarboard is in full meltdown mode tonight.
Yes indeed. Some hilarious stuff going on over there. I forgot how nutty that group is.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:45 AM   #54
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Huckabee should be well aware that the longer he stays in the campaign, the more he hurts Romney's chances. It is now apparent that he has no chance to get the nomination, but he can decide whether to crush Romney's campaign by waiting a week to bow out rather than doing so tomorrow.

I'll save this country from that no-good Joe Smith cult worshipper...
It really is about religion.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:59 AM   #55
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
I think that can be a big part of it with Evangelicals. I heard a woman on the radio the other day say that she couldn't vote for Romney "because of her faith." Not his faith, her faith.

I doubt she came up with this on her own. There is a certain wing of Evangelicals that are very cultish in their sheep-like tendancy to follow and believe what they are told by their religious leaders. I'm sure Romney's Mormonism has been discussed and she has been told not to vote for him.

This bothers me and other Mormons. That religion and politics are separate is pounded into our heads from the time we are very young. Furthermore, we vote freely for people rarely knowing their religious affiliation (I know, I know, not in Utah. I point out that there are more North American Mormons living outside Utah than inside.). It would be out of the norm to disqualify anyone based on such a thing.

We feel like they are cheating. And it may also bring up upleasent memories of times past when persecution of our forebearers went ahead with the support of such "Christian" people.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:14 AM   #56
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I think that can be a big part of it with Evangelicals. I heard a woman on the radio the other day say that she couldn't vote for Romney "because of her faith." Not his faith, her faith.

I doubt she came up with this on her own. There is a certain wing of Evangelicals that are very cultish in their sheep-like tendancy to follow and believe what they are told by their religious leaders. I'm sure Romney's Mormonism has been discussed and she has been told not to vote for him.

This bothers me and other Mormons. That religion and politics are separate is pounded into our heads from the time we are very young. Furthermore, we vote freely for people rarely knowing their religious affiliation (I know, I know, not in Utah. I point out that there are more North American Mormons living outside Utah than inside.). It would be out of the norm to disqualify anyone based on such a thing.

We feel like they are cheating. And it may also bring up upleasent memories of times past when persecution of our forebearers went ahead with the support of such "Christian" people.
There is only one reason for Huckabee to stay in the race ... it is not hard to imagine a brokered deal will result in Huckabee receiving some contibutions that will help him hang on just long enough for McCain to win super Tuesday.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:21 AM   #57
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You were the one who started those threads a few weeks back weren't you?

Many good points.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:51 AM   #58
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
There is only one reason for Huckabee to stay in the race ... it is not hard to imagine a brokered deal will result in Huckabee receiving some contibutions that will help him hang on just long enough for McCain to win super Tuesday.
why does he need contributions? he hasn't had any anyway until now.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:57 AM   #59
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I didn't say McCain was unavoidable, but he's "in charge of his own destiny" as we say in football. Assuming he doesn't stumble along the way somewhere, the nomination is his to lose.
I disagree. I think you are going to see a backlash from conservative elements within the Republican party who begin to ask, "are you kidding me? THIS guy is our nominee?"

If your party has any spine left, they will. Otherwise, welcome to irrelevance.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:00 AM   #60
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
why does he need contributions? he hasn't had any anyway until now.
To keep his campaign going.