cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 09:18 PM   #51
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
that they are among the least likely to join the PTA.

That is, they are among the least likely to pitch in for the common good.
People like Thomas Jefferson and the dudes he hung out with might take issue with that.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:43 PM   #52
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It's not the reasonable legislation that people oppose but the labyrinth of approvals, the types of extensive clean up and changes to smokestacks, which aren't just "a few bucks" that matter.

How clean is clean? These are the things that cost more than they should, thanks to government.
There is no doubt that cleanup (CERCLA) is expensive. That's why prevention (RCRA) is so important. Spending a little more to properly treat and dispose waste is orders of magnitude cheaper than trying to clean up contaminated soils and water. And prior to RCRA/CERCLA there was essentially no limitation. So you had companies simply digging holes and burying 55 gallon drums of toxic chemicals or just dumping them in unlined ponds.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:36 PM   #53
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
There is no doubt that cleanup (CERCLA) is expensive. That's why prevention (RCRA) is so important. Spending a little more to properly treat and dispose waste is orders of magnitude cheaper than trying to clean up contaminated soils and water. And prior to RCRA/CERCLA there was essentially no limitation. So you had companies simply digging holes and burying 55 gallon drums of toxic chemicals or just dumping them in unlined ponds.
An attorney for the government lives in our ward and is prosecuting the local power providers for not cleaning up their smoke stacks. The problem is, these cost millions and millions.

Do I want environmentally safe, clean water? Of course.

However, a while back, my engineering BiL worked for Dow Chemical in California. They had to close the plant because the environmental costs just to repaint the facilities were the proverbial straw that broke the bank.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:49 PM   #54
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
An attorney for the government lives in our ward and is prosecuting the local power providers for not cleaning up their smoke stacks. The problem is, these cost millions and millions.

Do I want environmentally safe, clean water? Of course.

However, a while back, my engineering BiL worked for Dow Chemical in California. They had to close the plant because the environmental costs just to repaint the facilities were the proverbial straw that broke the bank.
Well, if it's anecdotes you want, I once had dinner with three families who had lost young children to leukemia caused by drinking contaminated ground water. It was pretty sobering.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:13 PM   #55
Archaea

Quote:
Well, if it's anecdotes you want, I once had dinner with three families who had lost young children to leukemia caused by drinking contaminated ground water. It was pretty sobering.
You won't find anybody with an anecdote that said the environmental laws can be complied with at low cost; no the cost is quite high.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:26 PM   #56
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
You won't find anybody with an anecdote that said the environmental laws can be complied with at low cost; no the cost is quite high.
I am not sure I ever said it was low cost. Sorry if I mislead. My point was, the preventative measures are far cheaper than the cure.

The high cost, ironically, emphasizes the need for the legislation. Without legislation, most companies did not act in the public's best interest.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:49 PM   #57
Archaea

Quote:
I am not sure I ever said it was low cost. Sorry if I mislead. My point was, the preventative measures are far cheaper than the cure.

The high cost, ironically, emphasizes the need for the legislation. Without legislation, most companies did not act in the public's best interest.
Most times clean up is more expensive that preventative measures, but sometimes these preventative measures, which may be excessive, can be cost prohibitive, even for local utilities. If utilities can't afford it, who can?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:59 PM   #58
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
uh...that's the point.

get companies to internalize the costs they impose on others so resources are allocated most efficiently.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:00 AM   #59
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
uh...that's the point.

get companies to internalize the costs they impose on others so resources are allocated most efficiently.
The real question which is never answered, "are the restrictions necessary or simply useful?"

And it's an easy question, except if a house of poor people have a utility bill for 1000 dollars each month, then people for the poor complain about that.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:47 AM   #60
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The real question which is never answered, "are the restrictions necessary or simply useful?"

And it's an easy question, except if a house of poor people have a utility bill for 1000 dollars each month, then people for the poor complain about that.
I already answered it. If they're causing leukemia and health hazards then they're necessary. How much cleanup is optimal is a question that takes data to answer.

Utilities is a natural monopoly where prices are set by regulatory bodies anyway.

Last edited by ChinoCoug; 11-01-2007 at 01:56 AM.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote