cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 06:41 PM   #51
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
He likes women, especially younger women. Older women are of no value to him. Who asked you your opinion afterall, you're a reprobate single menace to society.
Well I am sure a heavenly mother would be an older woman. So why do we care what his opinion is.

I sir am a blessing to those who want to become wealthy.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #52
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
At the risk of being bold rather than submissive, I would like to address the original topic of this thread. While the LDS doctrine re: a Heavenly Mother is vague and not specifically addressed, there are historical women in scriptural and apcrophyal writings who played significant roles. Queen Esther, Mary Magdalene, Mary and her mother St. Anne are just a few. Yet the LDS culture downplays their influence. Very few lessons or doctrinal messages reference the historical role of women. Are you all afraid?
I agree that there are examples of women in the scriptures and throughout history that should be taught with greater frequency. However, there are few examples of women in the scriptures when compared to examples of men. There are some good examples to be sure, but if a woman were to look to the scriptures to find a sample of women throughout history she would be left wanting. This is unfortunate but I am not sure what can be done about it.

The cause of this is mostly likely two fold. i.) Historically women were even more repressed than presently and therefore their historical role was diminished and ii) the scriptural texts were recorded by men who did not recognize the contribution of women.

I will not argue the notion that it is an uphill battle for women. I wish there were more expamples of women in the scriptures that we could use to teach our children and I wish those stories were told from the woman's point of view. Alas, the few stories that we have are recorded by men with such little detail that we are left to speculate and fill in the lines.

Last edited by Flystripper; 10-05-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #53
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Well I am sure a heavenly mother would be an older woman. So why do we care what his opinion is.

I sir am a blessing to those who want to become wealthy.
Did you put me back in your will? Have you eaten an extra donut?
Old 10-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #54
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Heck there are few examples of noteable Mormon women in modern 21st century Mormonism.

Plenty of men to look up to. Very few women even enter the public stage.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #55
BYU71

Quote:
Did you put me back in your will? Have you eaten an extra donut?
Sorry, I have actually been phasing you out. The grandkids are coming right and left and I have to provide for them. Especially for the girls, 9 of them. They could marry a liberal and not have a pot to piss in or worse yet marry some mormon guy who thinks money is evil.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:47 PM   #56
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Sorry, I have actually been phasing you out. The grandkids are coming right and left and I have to provide for them. Especially for the girls, 9 of them. They could marry a liberal and not have a pot to piss in or worse yet marry some mormon guy who thinks money is evil.
But if you increase my share, you can rest assured it will be put to good use and not squandered on ill gotten uses.

Given it to granddaughters means it will be squandered. Let them and the liberals support themselves.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:50 PM   #57
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Heck there are few examples of noteable Mormon women in modern 21st century Mormonism.

Plenty of men to look up to. Very few women even enter the public stage.
Requiem's been on quite the tear during this discussion. I wonder how she feels about the women who speak in General Conference, ala BDB.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...9&postcount=10

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #58
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm not responsible for church curricula, but when Gordon and I have lunch next, I'll chat with him about it.

Have you done an analysis of church lessons and discovered this empirically? Is the number of lessons on women truly disproportionate to the number of stories in the scripture? Must it be otherwise to properly teach the doctrine?

This question reminds me of the Supreme Court debates. There are those who believe that if the 9 people on the court don't perfectly reflect the demographics of America, then their perspective is necessarily flawed.
Please Tex, you and I both know an empirical analysis of LDS curricula is not required to prove my point. Your arguments are much more intellectualy stimulating when you address issues rather than contrived and illogical rebuttals.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #59
BYU71

Quote:
But if you increase my share, you can rest assured it will be put to good use and not squandered on ill gotten uses.

Given it to granddaughters means it will be squandered. Let them and the liberals support themselves.
I worry about you a bit. I am afraid you might use the money to fund some radical women's movement in the church.

One thing I like about the Muslim religion. They know how to treat their women. Hillary, Nancy, you listening.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:52 PM   #60
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Your arguments are much more intellectualy stimulating when you address issues rather than contrived and illogical rebuttals.
When did that occur?