cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #51
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Then why isn't it about judgement with McCain and his glowing comments for Rev. Hagee? Or the fact that he accepted Hagee's endorsement?
This is a classic liberal tactic. When you can't defend the actions or statements of your candidate, try to turn the focus on the other guy.

If you want to start a thread about McCain and the pinhead Hagee, go ahead. But in this thread, why not man up and try to defend Obama and his connection to Wright? Perhaps because it's indefensible?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #52
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
This is a classic liberal tactic. When you can't defend the actions or statements of your candidate, try to turn the focus on the other guy.

If you want to start a thread about McCain and the pinhead Hagee, go ahead. But in this thread, why not man up and try to defend Obama and his connection to Wright? Perhaps because it's indefensible?
It has been discussed ad naseum in other threads. Obama had yet another nice statement today. And the point of bringing up Hagee is to give the issue context (as with bringing up Mormon leaders' statements in the past). Everyone wants to jump all over Obama, but only if it means they can ignore their own candidate's or religion's statements.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #53
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I really enjoy hearing Mormons, of all groups, getting upset about comments from a spiritual leader that were offensive or that called into question the greatness of the nation. I suggest you read your own church's history before deciding the level of inappropriateness of Wright's statements.

As for Hagee's comments, I find them far more offensive than Wright's. I assume when you say they "pale in comparison," that means you don't actually know what Hagee has said. Should I post a list of his greatest hits?

You are now back to saying it is purely a judgement issue with Obama. I am having a hard time keeping up with your evolving arguments. Does McCain suffer from a lapse in judgement with Hagee/Falwell? If not, why? What is the difference? You want to make it out to be an issue of length of time, but that would seem to only indicate that Obama's judgement was poor for a long time (and now corrected) and that McCain's is poor for a short time (including now). Not sure that advances your case.
Do you agree with Pastor's Wright's comments?

I'm not asking about Hagee, who didn't have a 20 year intimate association with McCain, but Wright. Stick to the question.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #54
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

A conservative media mogul and billionaire like Rupert Murdock should give Wright his own reality TV show till maybe December, unless he wins a permanent spot with ratings. "I'm Howard Beal, and I'm mad as hell and not going to take this anymore!"

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:52 PM   #55
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
It has been discussed ad naseum in other threads. Obama had yet another nice statement today. And the point of bringing up Hagee is to give the issue context (as with bringing up Mormon leaders' statements in the past). Everyone wants to jump all over Obama, but only if it means they can ignore their own candidate's or religion's statements.
It doesn't matter if it's been discussed ad nauseum. You still tried to deflect criticism of Obama - legitimate criticism. It took him 20 years and some damage to his Presidential campaign to finally notice what Wright is all about? Is Obama that clueless?

I'm willing to criticize Hagee if you'd like to start a thread about what a weasel he is and that McCain ought to disavow him.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #56
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteRider View Post
I was baptized by and received my patriarchal blessing from men who believed that black people and native Americans were cursed by God with dark skin for their ancestral sins, and because of their spiritual laziness in the preexistence.

I sure hope this doesn't come up when I run for office some day.
It came up for Mitt Romney.

But Romney wasn't the self-proclaimed candidate of change and hope and bells and whistles, so it actually mattered.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #57
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I agree with everything that I have heard Wright say with the exception of his idiotic view on the origins of AIDS.

I can overlook one retarded idea if the rest of the man measures up, and the Wright I have seen in public seems like an incredibly patriotic and honorable figure.
So you believe that the USA is to blame for 9/11?

Old 04-29-2008, 10:36 PM   #58
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was baptized by and received my patriarchal blessing from men who believed that black people and native Americans were cursed by God with dark skin for their ancestral sins, and because of their spiritual laziness in the preexistence.
I sure hope this doesn't come up when I run for office some day.
Yeah, but how many languages do you speak?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:38 PM   #59
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I agree with everything that I have heard Wright say with the exception of his idiotic view on the origins of AIDS.

I can overlook one retarded idea if the rest of the man measures up, and the Wright I have seen in public seems like an incredibly patriotic and honorable figure.
And this does not scare the crap out of you?

What is patriotic about his Marxist attitudes?
Old 04-29-2008, 10:45 PM   #60
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Wright didn't say that.

So then, what is Wright saying? That the terrorists are misunderstood?