cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 10:32 PM   #51
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

This line is classic:

SU wrote:

"I have not brought myself to read this thread. I for one don't care again to see the same intolerant diatribes from the same predictable cast of bitter homophobes."

Despite SU's good training and obvious intelligence, he rarely fancies us with any of his intelligence, choosing instead to make declarative statements, insults devoid of a logical breakdown or consideration of all analysis. If one were paying for his comments, or if he were reviewing the work of an associate, he would never tolerate such sloppiness.

Last edited by Archaea; 08-14-2006 at 10:44 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:36 PM   #52
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Brian, so are you telling me that we can't possibly know the difference between good and evil?

In fact it's been given to us to judge just that. Adam and Eve's eyes were opened after taking the fruit.

We are not Adam and Eve. They already removed that veil for the rest of us so that we wouldn't have to walk in ignorance. Absolutely we're given the spiritual and mental capacities to know the difference between good and evil.

It is true that one's ability to understand the difference can become dull and blinded over time by their own actions, but that doesn't mean the person is devoid in continuing their ability nor that they aren't instructed to understand and know the differences and then act accordingly.

If we weren't to know the difference between good and evil, then Adam and Eve would've never partaken of the fruit to begin with thus rendering the need for a Savior moot.

Anybody can know the difference since then.
If no one ever told you that drinking coffee was a sin, would you be able to discern it through the spirit? How about shopping on Sunday? Would it occur to anyone not to shop on Sunday if it hadn't been commanded? It's the same thing with homosexuality. It wouldn't occur to people that it was sinful if religions didn't tell them it was.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:37 PM   #53
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
If no one ever told you that drinking coffee was a sin, would you be able to discern it through the spirit? How about shopping on Sunday? Would it occur to anyone not to shop on Sunday if it hadn't been commanded? It's the same thing with homosexuality. It wouldn't occur to people that it was sinful unless religions told them it was.
Well first of all you're comparing drinking coffee and comitting homosexual acts in the same breath here and being the same things which suggests a rather sloppily laid trap in your form of questioning NS.

Try again.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:43 PM   #54
non sequitur

Quote:
Well first of all you're comparing drinking coffee and comitting homosexual acts in the same breath here and being the same things which suggests a rather sloppily laid trap in your form of questioning NS.

Try again.
I'm talking about the nature of sin in general. Most civilizations and religions throughout the history of time have pretty much agreed that certain behavior is unacceptable. Other types of behavior have been arbitrarily deemed sinful by various sects, but without universal agreement. I think homosexuality falls into the latter group. Throughout the history of time, it has been accepted more often than not.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
Old 08-14-2006, 10:46 PM   #55
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
I'm talking about the nature of sin in general. Most civilizations and religions throughout the history of time have pretty much agreed that certain behavior is unacceptable. Other types of behavior have been arbitrarily deemed sinful by various sects, but without universal agreement. I think homosexuality falls into the latter group. Throughout the history of time, it has been accepted more often than not.
Does acceptance constitute ignorance of sin?
Old 08-14-2006, 10:52 PM   #56
Archaea

Quote:
We may wish to study it better.

I really don't claim to know, as I'm NOT familiar with all cultures.

We know, or claim to know, it has frequently existed. However, how to assess its acceptability.

For ruling classes in Japan, it was acceptable for men to have their way with whomever, but not for the lower classes.

Did all classes of Greeks or Romans view it as acceptable or did people just look the other way? I'm not a student of those things, but my examination of proponents shows that in most cases they overstate its historic acceptability, showing that in certain instances, the ruling classes did whatever they felt was right.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:06 PM   #57
non sequitur

Quote:
Does acceptance constitute ignorance of sin?
I was simply responding to the supposition that men are inherently capable of determining what is and what is not sinful. If homosexuality is a sin and if cultures throughout history have been ignorant that it is a sin, then that tells me that maybe people are unable to determine for themselves what is indeed sinful.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:08 PM   #58
Archaea

Quote:
maybe people are unable to determine for themselves what is indeed sinful.
Gee, going out on a limb, are we?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:29 PM   #59
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

You're talking doctrine with a Mormon as an atheist. It's not going to work.

The Mormon view is that man is capable of discerning right from wrong and primary purpose of this life is to do just that and act on that discernment. Of course the Mormon view also includes a lot of help to get that done

1. revelations from God to man to teach us what is right and wrong
2. Holy Ghost given members of the church to help
3. a combination of the above two to figure it out for yourself when it's not so clear.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:55 AM   #60
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

This thread illustrates all that is wrong with religion. "No need to follow my conscience or apply reason or think for myself, for I'll do whatever the authorities say. Or, better yet, I will glean from the authorities' sayings and the scriptures whatever I need to justify my intolerance, even hatreds."

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote