cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #51
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Well, based on what is boring you about BYU and the MWC, how in the hell did you ever become a BYU fan to begin with?
How BYU was different before:

1. They played on national TV (Versus is not national TV).
2. They never backed down from a challenge, often taking an extra game at the beginning of the year (kickoff classic). Opposite true now.
3. BYU won a NC. (I have since come to the conclusion that NC does not exist). Now at the beginning of the season I know an undefeated season cannot mathematically result in NC. The stakes are much lower.
4. BYU used to play in an interesting bowl against some good teams, it was called the Holiday Bowl. Now they plan in a rickety 38k stadium prior to Christmas against the last-in bored team from the Pac-10.

That's just a start. Do you need more?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:58 PM   #52
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

2. They never backed down from a challenge, often taking an extra game at the beginning of the year (kickoff classic). Opposite true now.
3. BYU won a NC. (I have since come to the conclusion that NC does not exist). Now at the beginning of the season I know an undefeated season cannot mathematically result in NC. The stakes are much lower.
4. BYU used to play in an interesting bowl against some good teams, it was called the Holiday Bowl. Now they plan in a rickety 38k stadium prior to Christmas against the last-in bored team from the Pac-10.

Well, our SOS is currently 22nd per Sagarin. I realize we haven't played the greatest teams this year, so maybe the fact that we're 22nd means a lot of teams have backed down from any challenges.

If losing to top 25 teams on national TV excited you, then I guess you have a right not to be excited anymore.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:01 PM   #53
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Well, our SOS is currently 22nd per Sagarin. I realize we haven't played the greatest teams this year, so maybe the fact that we're 22nd means a lot of teams have backed down from any challenges.

If losing to top 25 teams on national TV excited you, then I guess you have a right not to be excited anymore.
When you are on the bottom of the barrel you can't afford to schedule down.

It's clear to me that Holmoe and Bronco AND ME don't have the same goals. Bronco's goal is to make a Hawaii-type splash and play in the Las Vegas Bowl.

My goal is to go balls out and schedule a difficult non-conf.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #54
Indy Coug

Quote:
When you are on the bottom of the barrel you can't afford to schedule down.

It's clear to me that Holmoe and Bronco AND ME don't have the same goals. Bronco's goal is to make a Hawaii-type splash and play in the Las Vegas Bowl.

My goal is to go balls out and schedule a difficult non-conf.
We can't even beat the non-conf schedule we have now, why would we go balls out at this point?

BTW, we do have Florida State in two years.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:07 PM   #55
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
We can't even beat the non-conf schedule we have now, why would we go balls out at this point?

BTW, we do have Florida State in two years.
I would hope that when Hall and Unga are seniors the team could beat mediocre BCS teams, and challenge against ranked ones.

What are the chances FSU will even be ranked? It's not clear at this point given 2005 and 2006 for FSU.

It really irritates me that not only is the schedule weak for the short term, HOLMOE IS MAKING THE SCHEDULE WEAK OUT TIL 2012!
Old 10-15-2007, 03:08 PM   #56
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Until after Ty Detmer BYU played on national TV as frequently as they do now. There is no question the TV situation is a debacle. I don't know how long that trend will continue.

I see no evidence of BYU backing down from a challenge. The schedule is what it was under Lavell. Simply because the preseason games are no more is not proof that BYU is backing down from a challenge. Further BYU is adding Hawaii and the extra game if that makes your nipples hard.

If BYU were in the Pac-10 I actually think its ability to win a national championship would be less than what is presently is. The reality that BYU is never going to win a national championship is totally out of BYU's ability to control and your whining about that aspect is the largest indicator on the pussie meter that you are heading in the wrong direction. In some threads you pull string that BYU is really not that good and the winning means nothing because they don't beat anyone of relevence, now you are pulling string that BYU will not be handed an NC for beating a bunch of shitty teams. Make up your mind already.

The bowl landscape and the fact that every BCS team that wins 6 games goes to one is killing BYU's chance to get good bowl opponents. If good bowl opponents is your bag did you know that the two top ranked bowl opponents BYU has played were games in Memphis and Detroit? Regardless, the Holiday Bowl was about as relevent as the current Vegas Bowl until BYU's program made it something more. Could it happen with Vegas, I doubt it because of the bowl landscape. However, with the current BCS scenario methinks your pussitis is causing you to abandon ship too early. I think that if BYU finishes this year strong that BYU could be in a BCS bowl next year if it goes 3-1 OOC and undefeated in conference play. Would a 4th tier BCS bowl be exciting enough for you?
Old 10-15-2007, 03:10 PM   #57
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I would hope that when Hall and Unga are seniors the team could beat mediocre BCS teams, and challenge against ranked ones.
They beat a mediocre BCS team this year. Come on Mike Army is a great team for BYU to play, the institutions have so much in common!

RAH RAH RAH BOOM! ON BRAVE OL' ARMY TEAM!
Old 10-15-2007, 03:10 PM   #58
Indy Coug

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2100808
Old 10-15-2007, 03:12 PM   #59
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I'm getting on this thread late here, but a few thoughts.

1. I'm very happy with Anae. I think he has the old BYU offense going pretty well. It's really not Anae it's Anae/Reynolds. You take Anae's TT offense and you combine with Reynolds knowledge of the Chow offense with a commitment to the run and you get the BYU offense. I think it's a very smart offense to take advantage of our strengths--big OL, big Poly backs, great TE, great QB and avoid our weaknesses--lack of WR playmaking, lack of speed RB.

2. I thought the UNLV game was great. Turnovers were a problem, but I don't blame it on coaching. We grinded out a comfortable win on a night that could have been a trap game. That's what a good team does.

3. MWC is boring and I agree with Waters on that. I'd like to see long term conference affiliation talks. But short term, at a minimum I'd like to see more aggressive OOC schedule. 2/12 BCS conference teams is crap.

4. Hall does lock on to receivers and he has no recognition of the pass rush. But he's doing pretty damn well for a sophomore and shows great potential.

5. We're about a #25-30ish team, and I'm very very satisfied with that coming off the season last year and all the seniors that graduated.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:13 PM   #60
Indy Coug

Quote:
What are the chances FSU will even be ranked?
Well, that's the problem when you sign contracts 8 to 10 years in advance (which is how long ago this series was set up).