cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 04:59 AM   #51
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
no, the sun is not the cause of global warming.
Really? I assume you mean something more precise, becaseu there is a pile of evidecne that says you are worng in this statement. You like the scientific method, so try this: Tomorrow morning go stand outside at dawn and tell me what happens to the temperature, if the day is clear, after the sun comes up.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:59 AM   #52
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Sounds great, but isn't European communication technology in many ways dependent upon a degree of government regulation that would be impractical in the more capitalist US of A? I've always been under the impression that there were very few carriers in European countries (not to mention much less territory to cover), so that compatibility and proprietary concerns have never been as big of an issue as they are in the US. So, instead of having three or more big companies erecting competing infrastructures, there's only one - and thus everything works more efficiently. Correct me if I'm wrong or inaccurate - I am in no way an expert.

Deregulation of Western European Telecoms occurred in the early nineties. So it is not only free market driven, but the infrastructures were built fast and furiously. Sweden had during the initial salvos 11 different telecoms which eventually were melded into 5 major players. This eventually became 3 Multinational concerns. New players have continued to enter the market as Europe is in a sense become a unified telecom market.

The number two telecom in Sweden is Tele2 which became huge overnight. One of the founders left the company and together with a group of developers created Skype. His reason was that Telephony should basically be free for anyone who wishes to use it.

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:02 AM   #53
DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Welcome aboard. I am always glad to have someone around who has spent time in my ancestral homeland of Finland. Someday I will go to Suomi like you have.

One question: since when did Euro affected sensibilities equal conservatism?
LOL, since my personal experiences helped me to understand what is truly great about America and help me see things from a more constitutionalist perspective. I would probably be considered a Federalist back in the day, which by the way things have changed is fine by me.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:09 AM   #54
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Really? I assume you mean something more precise, becaseu there is a pile of evidecne that says you are worng in this statement. You like the scientific method, so try this: Tomorrow morning go stand outside at dawn and tell me what happens to the temperature, if the day is clear, after the sun comes up.
I'll assume you're being flip here. "Global warming" is the term commonly used to refer to the recent increase in average global temperature. You know that one thing that so many on the left are so alarmed about and so many on the right are in denial over? Yea that.

There is a quack hypothesis that gained a bit of popularity a while back that attempted to blame this phenomenon on changes in the sun's output or distance from Earth. It is hilariously wrong and was promptly debunked. As usual, however, the stench of the brain fart is lingering for a bit.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:23 AM   #55
DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I'll assume you're being flip here. "Global warming" is the term commonly used to refer to the recent increase in average global temperature. You know that one thing that so many on the left are so alarmed about and so many on the right are in denial over? Yea that.

There is a quack hypothesis that gained a bit of popularity a while back that attempted to blame this phenomenon on changes in the sun's output or distance from Earth. It is hilariously wrong and was promptly debunked. As usual, however, the stench of the brain fart is lingering for a bit.
It was debunked? I would love to read up on the studies that were done to debunk this theory. I mean all we have right now on both sides of this argument are theories. Nothing has been proven. Not even the Climatologist in Europe who got to share the peace prize with Al have come to a consensus on why it is happening. What the definitive causes are.

I thought since other planets are also heating up in our solar system that the Sun would be an obvious culprit, but you must have access to some pretty solid scientific evidence to be so sure about your statement.

So help a guy out here and send me a few links to the debunking of this theory.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:23 PM   #56
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRoss View Post
It was debunked? I would love to read up on the studies that were done to debunk this theory. I mean all we have right now on both sides of this argument are theories. Nothing has been proven. Not even the Climatologist in Europe who got to share the peace prize with Al have come to a consensus on why it is happening. What the definitive causes are.

I thought since other planets are also heating up in our solar system that the Sun would be an obvious culprit, but you must have access to some pretty solid scientific evidence to be so sure about your statement.

So help a guy out here and send me a few links to the debunking of this theory.
Don't get me started on the concept of "proof" as it pertains to science. Still, one does not have to know the cause of something in order to determine what isn't the cause of something. The other planets that are supposedly heating up are either expected to do so for unrelated reasons, or they aren't actually warming. Keep in mind that if the sun were the cause, all of the planets would need to be warming, not just a couple. The sun's output has not increased recently, and the earth is actually slightly farther away from the sun, not closer. Mars is warming due to a fairly well understood and predicted phenomenon known as the Milankovitch cycle.

I'm actually very chill about the whole global warming thing, and think that the alarmists on the left and the denialists on the right are both hurting the cause. Those propagating any ridiculous theory they can find in order to help themselves believe that humans have nothing to do with it are obviously not helping either.

In my own field, the extreme amounts of co2 in the atmosphere, particularly the heavily carbon-depleted molecules produced by fossil fuels, are beginning to become a problem. Still, the effects are subtle, so it's not the end of the world if we take another few decades to get off of oil, but we really do need to get off of oil.

Whether all this co2 is the only cause of global warming or only a small factor doesn't particularly concern me. We're in an interglacial period of an ice age at the moment and I assume things will get worked out eventually, with or without us.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:26 PM   #57
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a football thread?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:54 PM   #58
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
This is a football thread?

How many threads on here have you ever read that stayed on subject.

This site can't afford to have people running around monitoring threads and changing posters categories like CB can. As as matter a fact this site isn't probably as anal about those kind of things.

Anal people are much more appreciated on CB.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #59
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
How many threads on here have you ever read that stayed on subject.

This site can't afford to have people running around monitoring threads and changing posters categories like CB can. As as matter a fact this site isn't probably as anal about those kind of things.

Anal people are much more appreciated on CB.
Well, this one was never a football thread to begin with.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:12 PM   #60
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Well, this one was never a football thread to begin with.
I don't know about you guys, but I just use the "new posts" feature. The category of a message makes no difference to me.