cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 02:16 PM   #41
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone who thinks it is a sin is also succeptable to believing and telling others "you will go blind" by committing such sin.

Sometimes leaders make silly statements. That doesn't mean they aren't great men or great leaders, they just make silly statements sometimes.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #42
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
What Mark E. Peterson said, whether masturbating in a half-sleep mode is a sin.
Half-asleep means not asleep.

You say it's not a sin, pretty soon every kids going to start drooping his eyes as he plays pocket pool.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:32 PM   #43
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess my point is why would such a question be talked about publicly at all. Gee, you get into a debate over what half a sleep means.

OK, my definition of half a sleep means you are not fully conscious and are not making conscious decisions.

In order for a kid to use that as an excuse, they were half a sleep, they had to know what they were doing and decided consciously to do it and then lie about the incident.

This to me shows how silly and stupid we can get over some things.

To me lieing about you really being half a sleep or not is far more serious than the act of changing your own oil.

I don't give a crap about what my associates do in their bedroom. I care a whole lot if they are prone to lie. My hope is that ward and stake leaders are talking a heck of a lot more to youth about lieing than they are oil changing while half asleep.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #44
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
What Mark E. Peterson said, whether masturbating in a half-sleep mode is a sin.
I think the problem here is the definition of sin. I'm committing a sin right now as I type because I'm stealing my employer's time. I'll go on to commit at least 100 sins today, maybe 100 per hour. What's the problem with sin?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:25 PM   #45
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Do Church leaders still teach that masturbation is a sin? If so, it's just plain idiotic. Masturbation is not a sin. It is as natural as blowing your nose, and just as harmless. I have a good friend whose son was not allowed to serve a mission because he had a masturbation "problem". His problem has caused her family a great deal of heartache throughout the years, and at one point she told me how sad she was that masturbation had ruined her son's life. My response was that masturbation is not what had ruined his life, but it was the Church that had ruined his life. It's infuriating that a bunch of pinheads in white shirts can heap that kind of guilt on a young person who has done absolutely nothing wrong. It's shameful.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #46
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Do Church leaders still teach that masturbation is a sin? If so, it's just plain idiotic. Masturbation is not a sin. It is as natural as blowing your nose, and just as harmless. I have a good friend whose son was not allowed to serve a mission because he had a masturbation "problem". His problem has caused her family a great deal of heartache throughout the years, and at one point she told me how sad she was that masturbation had ruined her son's life. My response was that masturbation is not what had ruined his life, but it was the Church that had ruined his life. It's infuriating that a bunch of pinheads in white shirts can heap that kind of guilt on a young person who has done absolutely nothing wrong. It's shameful.
I'm not going to wander into the sin/no-sin minefield, but I will say that as far as I know, yes, it is still something that can delay a mission. In fact, I believe stake presidents are instructed to ask about it specifically, among other things.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:30 PM   #47
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
nonseq, you ask a question and then you answer it going on your rant.

Note, the quote from Mark E. Peterson came from the sixties or seventies. If one must look back that far, we can see it is not a very vital topic, don't you think?

Obviously leaders probably direct boys not to do it, but I don't believe it's a hot topic. The most recent hot topic of from about a decade ago was informing the youth that oral sex was sex.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #48
non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm not going to wander into the sin/no-sin minefield, but I will say that as far as I know, yes, it is still something that can delay a mission. In fact, I believe stake presidents are instructed to ask about it specifically, among other things.
I venture to guess that nearly 100% of male missionaries regularly masturbate. It's a biological function. You might as well tell them not to fart. Sure, they can hold it in for a while, but once they get alone and the urge hits, it's a pretty good bet that they're going to cut loose.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
Old 06-19-2007, 04:36 PM   #49
non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
nonseq, you ask a question and then you answer it going on your rant.

Note, the quote from Mark E. Peterson came from the sixties or seventies. If one must look back that far, we can see it is not a very vital topic, don't you think?

Obviously leaders probably direct boys not to do it, but I don't believe it's a hot topic. The most recent hot topic of from about a decade ago was informing the youth that oral sex was sex.
It was a hot topic in my friend's life. They even sent the poor kid to therapy to help him resist the urge to masturbate. It's silly.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:36 PM   #50
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I venture to guess that nearly 100% of male missionaries regularly masturbate. It's a biological function. You might as well tell them not to fart. Sure, they can hold it in for a while, but once they get alone and the urge hits, it's a pretty good bet that they're going to cut loose.
Again, I'm not going to wade into the sin aspects of this discussion, but I think the "biological function" line is a load of bull. I can't count number of times a variation of that excuse is used to justify all kinds of bad behavior.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote