cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 10:31 PM   #41
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Although Mormon Red Death seems to have floated the idea as well, I trace it back to these two statements of yours:

"I don't think Mormons can argue that the actual text of the Constitution was inspired..." and "It doesn't appear that many here are willing to take the approach that the church believes the text/interpretation of the text to be inspired, but I think many church leaders have said that it is."

So, pertaining to this thread: yes, it appears to be your idea.

Then we are in agreement. That being the case, why are you behaving so disagreeably?
I really don't see what is so complicated here. I don't believe the actual words are inspired. I believe some church leaders do (like Benson). Is it therefore my idea that some words are exactly inspired? Only in Texland.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:37 PM   #42
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I really don't see what is so complicated here. I don't believe the actual words are inspired. I believe some church leaders do (like Benson). Is it therefore my idea that some words are exactly inspired? Only in Texland.
I don't think Benson believed what you are suggesting, and since you refuse to back it up with a citation (and given your dubious history at impartial quotation making), I have no choice to but to believe you are prevaricating yet again. Shame on you for force-feeding your fake dilemma into President Benson's mouth.

I did find this wonderful tidbit which seems to neatly repudiate your straw man.

http://lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrg/me...____&hideNav=1

As to your general belief about the constitution (shame on you again for taking us down this tangent), it appears we are in agreement.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:50 PM   #43
Cali Coug

Quote:
I don't think Benson believed what you are suggesting, and since you refuse to back it up with a citation (and given your dubious history at impartial quotation making), I have no choice to but to believe you are prevaricating yet again. Shame on you for force-feeding your fake dilemma into President Benson's mouth.

I did find this wonderful tidbit which seems to neatly repudiate your straw man.

http://lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrg/me...____&hideNav=1

As to your general belief about the constitution (shame on you again for taking us down this tangent), it appears we are in agreement.
I don't know what it repudiates, but I do know he arguably supports the proposition that the words are directly inspired:

"I reverence the Constitution of the United States as a sacred document. To me its words are akin to the revelations of God, for God has placed His stamp of approval upon it."

Thanks for the link.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:11 PM   #44
Tex

Quote:
I don't know what it repudiates, but I do know he arguably supports the proposition that the words are directly inspired:

"I reverence the Constitution of the United States as a sacred document. To me its words are akin to the revelations of God, for God has placed His stamp of approval upon it."

Thanks for the link.
Or maybe you're just trying really hard to be controversial, and you figure stuffing a viewpoint you don't even agree with into the mouth of a prophet might be a good way to do it.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:00 AM   #45
Cali Coug

Quote:
Or maybe you're just trying really hard to be controversial, and you figure stuffing a viewpoint you don't even agree with into the mouth of a prophet might be a good way to do it.
I don't think it takes too much "stuffing."

Also from Benson:

"But we honor more than those who brought forth the Constitution. We honor the Lord, who revealed it. God himself has borne witness to the fact that He is pleased with the final product of the work of these great patriots."

These wise founders, our patriotic partners, seemed to appreciate more than most of us the blessings of the boundaries that the Lord set within the Constitution, for he said, “And as pertaining to law of man, whatsoever is more or less than this, cometh of evil.” (D&C 98:7.)

In God the founders trusted, and in his Constitution—not in the arm of flesh. “O Lord,” said Nephi, “I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; … cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm.” (2 Ne. 4:34.)

It is at least arguable that Benson believed the words to be inspired. I have known many others who have expressed similar sentiments. You are getting very defensive about the position for no apparent reason. I have simply questioned what the ramifications would be if the words are inspired (and indicated my belief that the actual text was not inspired).
Old 04-25-2007, 04:12 AM   #46
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I don't think it takes too much "stuffing."

Also from Benson:

"But we honor more than those who brought forth the Constitution. We honor the Lord, who revealed it. God himself has borne witness to the fact that He is pleased with the final product of the work of these great patriots."

These wise founders, our patriotic partners, seemed to appreciate more than most of us the blessings of the boundaries that the Lord set within the Constitution, for he said, “And as pertaining to law of man, whatsoever is more or less than this, cometh of evil.” (D&C 98:7.)

In God the founders trusted, and in his Constitution—not in the arm of flesh. “O Lord,” said Nephi, “I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; … cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm.” (2 Ne. 4:34.)

It is at least arguable that Benson believed the words to be inspired. I have known many others who have expressed similar sentiments. You are getting very defensive about the position for no apparent reason. I have simply questioned what the ramifications would be if the words are inspired (and indicated my belief that the actual text was not inspired).
Clearly Benson thought God put the words in their heads.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:22 AM   #47
SeattleUte

Quote:

Thanks for the link.
This is like what Muslims say about the Koran. I think Madison would be surprised to hear it.

—Paul Auster
Old 04-25-2007, 04:40 AM   #48
Tex

Quote:
I have no reason to get defensive, because it's not really a view I espouse. I merely challenge the dichotomy you present as bogus. That's all.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:42 AM   #49
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Clearly Benson thought God put the words in their heads.
Stop stuffing words into his mouth.

That is Tex's job.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:53 AM   #50
SeattleUte

Quote:
Stop stuffing words into his mouth.

That is Tex's job.
I'm gratified that Tex has tried to alter what Benson said to make him seem more rational rather than defending what he really did say. That's a step toward enlightenment, I'd say.

—Paul Auster