cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Obama's Rock Star popularity

I wonder if this will ever begin to work against him. Right now there is little question that a decent portion of his popularity is due to people who are excited by his popularity itself. This happens all the time in the pop music world, but when it does it inevitably turns off a lot of fellow admirers who go off looking for the next best thing.

In this case, there really is no next best thing. For a while, McCain was the coolest Republican around. He would show up on SNL and John Stewart loved him, but now he's Bush III. A grumpy, ugly, old warmonger. So the threat isn't McCain, but I think it's attention span. The only way Obama loses popularity is if his fawning admirers disengage from politics altogether. He'll have to compete against the NFL, CFB and World Series. He'll have to compete against good news if it comes, the inevitable capturing of OBL, falling gas prices, etc. I think all these things pose a bigger threat to him than John McCain. Mano a mano there is no contest.

It will be fascinating to see if he's able to sustain his popularity, not only through November but far beyond that. Though I won't vote for him, he is probably the most unique politician I've seen in my life. It's fun to watch.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote