cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2008, 05:31 AM   #41
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
You're probably right, but amnesty for all? Or just those who are productive members of society now? Or just those who are LDS in good standing?

There are several conclusions we could come to logically. I have no idea because the Church didn't specify. But Cannon was for amnesty for all.

I just commented on what I saw as the difference between the Church's stance and what Cannon wanted.
I think the point you raise is the million dollar baby. If you could provide the answer for us, you would likely make a serious run for POTUS.

I am not sure how amnesty would work. In many ways, it is as impractical as full deportation.

When is the amnesty cut-off? What about people that were criminals in their country of origin? What about part-citizen families? The whole thing is a mess. Very tough situation.

I am glad the Church took the first step, which was basically to say....hey, everyone, put down the torches and pitchforks because tossing everyone out is not the answer.

I am with you, though, IPU. I dont have the answer either.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:51 AM   #42
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

the church didn't ask anyone to put out their torch or put down their pitchfork. All they said was "You're running to the wrong way. Run THAT way!"

Of course, "that way" being California and their upcoming referendum.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:56 PM   #43
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

Funny those who claim that the Church loves illegal immigration, while one of the Articles of Faith supports the Law of the Land.

My wife works for LDS Social Services, and they won't represent an LDS illegal alien who wants to adopt, or pay the medical bills for illegal aliens who wish to give up their child for adoption.

Keep spinning though, trying to tell us how the church "really", "secretly" feels.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:58 PM   #44
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post

Funny those who claim that the Church loves illegal immigration, while one of the Articles of Faith supports the Law of the Land.

My wife works for LDS Social Services, and they won't represent an LDS illegal alien who wants to adopt, or pay the medical bills for illegal aliens who wish to give up their child for adoption.

Keep spinning though, trying to tell us how the church "really", "secretly" feels.
wait, they won't pay the bills, but they will take the baby? That's despicable.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #45
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

The Church has a long tradition of civil disobedience. Sometimes sustaining the rightness of the very concept of law means opposing a particular law.

No one should be surprised at the Church's stand on this.

During the polygamy persecution there was a move to make it illegal for Mormons to immigrate the U.S.. I forget whether it was a court ruling or legislation....
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #46
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post

I'm sorry- are you under the impression that the 12th Article of Faith is a blanket statement with no exceptions? What were Germans to do under Hitler?

Obviously there are exceptions. When a law is unjust, there is a duty to oppose the law. There are appropriate and inappropriate ways of opposing law, but the church has a many instances of civil disobedience in its history.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #47
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
wait, they won't pay the bills, but they will take the baby? That's despicable.
Is that what Mars said?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:48 PM   #48
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I'm sorry- are you under the impression that the 12th Article of Faith is a blanket statement with no exceptions? What were Germans to do under Hitler?

Obviously there are exceptions. When a law is unjust, there is a duty to oppose the law. There are appropriate and inappropriate ways of opposing law, but the church has a many instances of civil disobedience in its history.
this was stated by an apostle not that long ago in General Conference. He specifically referred to an out when it comes to some immoral laws.

I believe it was Oaks.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #49
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
The Church has a long tradition of civil disobedience. Sometimes sustaining the rightness of the very concept of law means opposing a particular law.

No one should be surprised at the Church's stand on this.

During the polygamy persecution there was a move to make it illegal for Mormons to immigrate the U.S.. I forget whether it was a court ruling or legislation....
I think it was legislation. The same batch of laws prohibited leftists from coming over

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #50
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Chris Cannon was among the most useless of all politicians. And that is saying something. Unfortunately, somehow I know that he will run again for something in 2 years and miraculously win as people forget what a total waste he was.
I was glad to see Cannon lose. Knocking incumbents out if usually a good thing. Chaffetz does seem extreme. He sounds at times like he wants to be Ron Paul's sidekick. He is definitely acting talking the ultra conservative talk.

But Cannon was so unimpressive and clueless. He was an embarrassment to the state.

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote