cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #41
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUTexan View Post
This story was real. My stake president when I graduated Hs (McKinney, Tx Stake) had a daughter (who I took to Prom BTW) that didn't get in and she had good greads and ACT. This was in 98.
Why? Because her father had a beard?
Old 04-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #42
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Why? Because her father had a beard?
Why would anyone who had good grades and and a good ACT score want to go to Ricks, unless it was to find a mate.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #43
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I was quite taken by the Prophets encouraging inactives to come back. I was considering it and then I realized the HP quorum is filled with Lingo's, Indy's and Tex's. Yea, come back to welcome open arms my fanny.
Oh, what are you worried about, 71? HP Group is full of cranky old men; you'll fit right in.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #44
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

I just looked it up. The lottery admission system only was enacted for one year:

This is from the Chronicle of Higher Education on October 4, 1996:

Quote:
NOTE BOOK
Ricks College Decides Not to Use Lottery in Admissions

Applicants will once again have to rely on something other than luck to gain admission to Ricks College.

The Mormon institution was concerned that using a lottery system for admissions, as it did last year, would indicate support for gambling, which is opposed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The college used a computerized, random-selection process to choose among qualified applicants for 28 per cent of the incoming class for fall 1996. About 2,300 students, most of whom met the requirements for admission, were turned away, and 4,650 were accepted, about 1,300 of whom were chosen in the random process.

"The random-selection system worked very well from an admissions standpoint," said Gordon A. Westenskow, director of admissions."But then people were using the L-word when they would refer to the process, and lottery was not a term we felt comfortable with."

The college will return to its previous policy of admitting students with the highest grades and test scores and with significant personal achievements. Ricks will also start considering the geographic location of applicants as a means of diversifying the student body.

It was only every done for 28% of the class and it was only done for one year. So I would suggest that SteelBlue's original assertion was correct. People with really good ACTs and grades were not being turned away from Ricks. It is possible that people with relatively good grades by Ricks standard were not accepted during the brief tenure of the lottery. But I think the good grades and ACT line should be understood in the context of the Ricks college applicant pool.

Last edited by pelagius; 04-07-2008 at 05:34 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #45
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Oh, what are you worried about, 71? HP Group is full of cranky old men; you'll fit right in.
It isn't the crankiness I worry about. It is the fact on a percentage basis they have more of those who listen to conference and then think it is their calling to explain to the lesser ones in the flock.

Much like, you Lingo and Indy.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #46
Archaea

Quote:
It isn't the crankiness I worry about. It is the fact on a percentage basis they have more of those who listen to conference and then think it is their calling to explain to the lesser ones in the flock.

A friend of mine once discussed cranky attitudes. He was disputing his spouse's observation that the children may be cranky because they are tired, stating, "I don't need to be tired to be cranky, I'm cranky often just because I want to be."
Old 04-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #47
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

There are no lesser ones in HP group. Only former great ones.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #48
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
There are no lesser ones in HP group. Only former great ones.
LOL, now and then you come up with something that makes me think you folks in the Celestial Kingdom won't be so drab after all.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:11 PM   #49
Archaea

Quote:
LOL, now and then you come up with something that makes me think you folks in the Celestial Kingdom won't be so drab after all.
Yes, every once in a hundred and fifty posts or so.

However, you and I will be well entertained, as our women wear less clothing and work out. The CK has the heavily clothed fatted calves.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:09 PM   #50
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

Link?

What the hell are you talking about?
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote