cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #41
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Yes, I read it. And the author pretty clearly indicated he doesn't know what the correct figure is (and he even acknowledged it could be as high as 50%- he definitely did NOT say "it sure as heck isn't 50%"). He has problems with the study and its methodology but not necessarily the conclusion.

To be clear, I am not arguing the percentage is 50% or more. I am asking for evidence the percentage is at 24% as was claimed and offering at least one study in rebuttal.
How does 17% strike you? From the same journal that originally published the 50% number:

Conclusion of 17% based on same data used in original article

Of course, just a short time later:
Authors of original article rebut 17% conclusion and stand by original numbers

Obviously the issue is politicized although the authors of the original study seem to show more vitriol/politicization in their abstract. The actual number is likely somewhere between the two extremes.

NOTE: I didn't want to pay for access to the Health Affairs journal so I only read the abstracts.

Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 03-04-2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: typos
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote