cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 12:51 AM   #41
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I laid out having a reasonable schedule as a prerequesite. That's the ante to get in the game. If you're not in a BCS conference and you don't want to schedule at least two or three traditional powers, then you're saying you're not in the game.

If you do that, and you blow the doors off the competition, and you show over a 12 game season week in and week out that you are a #1 or #2 team, I have faith in the current system that you will get your shot.
Why should schedule matter? If a team wins all of it's games on it's schedule, why should it be punished because BCS teams have decided that the other conferences are weaker?

How many of these traditional powers are willing to play teams like BYU or Utah on a regular basis? The SEC wouldn't do it because the thought is that it does nothing for a team like LSU to play a team like BYU - that there is not enough to gain by winning and a loss would really hurt. (Personally, I think they won't do it because they are wusses.)

My point is that there will never be an equal chance for all Div. I teams to win the BCS championship. It's not even an official NCAA championship, yet the wimps at the NCAA kowtow to the BCS's every whim.

THe BCS sucks. It has always sucked and it will continue to suck as long as it exists.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:40 AM   #42
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

For an alternative point of view:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_...yhoo&type=lgns
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:46 AM   #43
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
How many of these traditional powers are willing to play teams like BYU or Utah on a regular basis? The SEC wouldn't do it because the thought is that it does nothing for a team like LSU to play a team like BYU - that there is not enough to gain by winning and a loss would really hurt. (Personally, I think they won't do it because they are wusses.)
This is the crux of the problem. I saw it happen in 1984. "Yea, but who did you play?", the power conferences and their media lackeys cry. Well, Edwards was pretty willing to play anyone, but so many of them wouldn't play BYU. What kind of argument is that? "You haven't played anyone, because we won't schedule you, and therefore, you are inferior." Sounds like a permanent caste system.

And again and again, I see the posters on this board and Cougarboard use the same argument against Boise State, or Hawaii, or whoever.

I'm with Indy. I doubt Hawaii is the best team in the country, but someone should have to beat them to confirm this.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote