cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 06:36 PM   #41
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I think this thread is a good case in point why it's folly to jettison the spiritual in favor of the physical when the two appear to be irreconcilably opposed. Our very incomplete understanding of the physical is not enough for some of us to dismiss the spiritual witness we've received.

Evidently you're more than comfortable in doing so.
Woot is a spokesperson of the type I didn't believe existed, somebody who asserts "science" knows more than it actually can know. He stated it carefully once, "working assumptions", but is often also careless. [I am too so shoot me].

Science is a wonderful method, providing for a modern life rivaled by none of the past great societies. It doesn't provide answers to moral questions though. It doesn't provide purpose, unless you are driven to learn whatever aspect of research you desire.

The scientific, empirical method is wonderful and marvelous. It will continue to provide insights into the physical world around us. It is NOT capable of providing insights into everything though. Woot might mouth these words but he doesn't believe them.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:40 PM   #42
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Woot is a spokesperson of the type I didn't believe existed, somebody who asserts "science" knows more than it actually can know. He stated it carefully once, "working assumptions", but is often also careless. [I am too so shoot me].

Science is a wonderful method, providing for a modern life rivaled by none of the past great societies. It doesn't provide answers to moral questions though. It doesn't provide purpose, unless you are driven to learn whatever aspect of research you desire.

The scientific, empirical method is wonderful and marvelous. It will continue to provide insights into the physical world around us. It is NOT capable of providing insights into everything though. Woot might mouth these words but he doesn't believe them.
So first, I'm someone you didn't believe could exist, but then you admit you have the same supposed problems, then you pretend to tell me what I believe by deliberately misinterpreting my words. I guess I can't argue with that.

I certainly never implied that science is a moral system or has any power to give purpose to anyone's life. That's philosophy's domain. That you think I have ever said otherwise, and that you think I don't believe what I'm saying right now isn't my problem.

Last edited by woot; 10-16-2007 at 06:43 PM.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #43
woot

Quote:
Circumstantial evidence of Pre-Columbian American contact with Egypt as it relates to your comment about an "unlikely boat".
Are you suggesting that they took the boat back to Egypt after they found some drugs?
Old 10-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #44
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
You presented a silly, subjective parody. How am I to "contend" with that?
Because you say it is silly doesn't make it so. Parody and allegory are essential human intellectual exercises. You would start by avoiding absolutes -especially in regards to science. You cannot absoulutely positively prove your point with scientific evidence. For the evidence is inconclusive and truth is fluid.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:45 PM   #45
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Because you say it is silly doesn't make it so. Parody and allegory are essential human intellectual exercises. You would start by avoiding absolutes -especially in regards to science. You cannot absoulutely positively prove your point with scientific evidence. For the evidence is inconclusive and truth is fluid.
Thanks for reinforcing the point I've been making this whole time. Good to know you're on my side.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #46
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Are you suggesting that they took the boat back to Egypt after they found some drugs?
I'm suggesting

1. Boats must have existed that could make the voyage.
2. Contact between the two hemispheres is not unprecedented.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:55 PM   #47
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thanks for reinforcing the point I've been making this whole time. Good to know you're on my side.
And you dodge again.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:58 PM   #48
woot

Quote:
I'm suggesting

1. isn't necessarily true, but even if so, that doesn't seem to have anything to do with your greater point.

2. if the finding is confirmed, this would seem to be the best explanation, but I don't really find this shocking, especially if this new stuff about European ancestry among a few native americans pans out. It still is absolutely not positive evidence for the Lehi story, which is what this was supposed to be about.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #49
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm suggesting

I am not arguing for the historicity of religious claims, but neither is Indy. To be fair, what Indy is arguing is quite reasonable.

Many of the "scientific" claims used to "debunk" "historical" claims of the historicity of religious or LDS beliefs are sometimes bad science. It doesn't make the LDS beliefs any more true or false, but the detractors should drop the argument as a basis of attack.

For example, "no horses".

Or, "how could anybody have arrived in America by boat, that's scientifically impossible?"

Or, the only genetic contributions are via the Siberian land bridge, every scientist "knows" their are no contributions from elsewhere and hence Mormonism is false.

Woot is actually more sophisticated than that, but in many ways just as naive, or so he appears.

Any historical claims by religionists should be challenged scientifically, but they should be challenged by good science and just means.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #50
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
And you dodge again.
How am I to refute your point when I agree with it wholeheartedly? You're really confused if you think that I've ever said that science can "prove" anything.