cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 03:40 PM   #41
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

I have a very close relationship (personal, not familial) with a seventy. I know the daughter of the General Primary President. That's about it.

Oh, and Fred Skousen lives in my parent's ward, where Bronco has bought a piece of land and supposedly intends to build (practically next door to my parents). That's got to count for something. Although it doesn't translate to any inside information at all.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:45 PM   #42
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
I have a very close relationship (personal, not familial) with a seventy. I know the daughter of the General Primary President. That's about it.

Oh, and Fred Skousen lives in my parent's ward, where Bronco has bought a piece of land and supposedly intends to build (practically next door to my parents). That's got to count for something. Although it doesn't translate to any inside information at all.
Actually, I lied. I forgot that my dad/grandpa are buddies w/ LTP (used to eat lunch together once a year or so), my wife is direct line from Hyrum Smith so she got invited to that hullabaloo a couple of years ago, Lavell & Patti served their mission in my ward in NYC (we used to invite them to football games) and I know Richard Bushman personally (same NYC ward - my wife visit taught Claudia and Richard (known to some friends as Dick) was evidently the SP who sent my dad on his mission back in Boston).
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:05 AM   #43
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

F. Melvin Hammond was in my ward growing up. I had a crush on his second oldest daughter from 7th grade to high school and still to this day I get nervous when I see her.

Dated J. Richard Clarke's daughter while she attended Ricks. She may have been the wildest girl I ever dated.

On a more spiritual note before he was president SWK set my father apart to be in the High Council while he was up for a stake conference and we got to shake his hand.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #44
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

No family. I come from a long line of apostates and non-members.

When I was 13, I was sure that Pres. Hincley would be my Grandfather-in-law, since I had a large crush on his granddaughter. Then she moved.

Elder Ballard yelled at my mission companion.

I taught Dallin Oak's nephew at the MTC.

When I was at the MTC, Elder Jensen (1st quorum of 70) was the director of training or something, and got after us at the bus stop because we were going to the mall for a haircut.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #45
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I once saw President Monson at a Jazz game. I was a little dissapointed because I knew there were people at the game who were drinking beer and I didn't think Apostles would be in that type of environment (tic). I have heard some pretty cool stories about President Monson that would indicate he isn't that uptight of a guy.

I had a relative who dated an Apostles son. This was back in the day when everywhere, including conference, they advocated not putting off marriage or having kids. However, the son was advised to get his degree before getting married by his father.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #46
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
Elder Ballard yelled at my mission companion.
This made me laugh. What did he yell at him over?
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:07 PM   #47
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
This made me laugh. What did he yell at him over?

Elder Ballard gave an address at a mission conference, and afterward took questions, stipulating that they had to be related to missionary work. My comp asked the first question. I forget what it was, but it was clearly not related to missionary work. Elder Ballard gave him a glare for a few seconds, barked out a quick rebuke, and didn't answer the question.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:06 AM   #48
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
Elder Ballard gave an address at a mission conference, and afterward took questions, stipulating that they had to be related to missionary work. My comp asked the first question. I forget what it was, but it was clearly not related to missionary work. Elder Ballard gave him a glare for a few seconds, barked out a quick rebuke, and didn't answer the question.
When I was in the MTC I usually enjoyed the GA's that would come and speak to us. Ballard was the only one I didn't like. After his talk I remember thinking he was a total ass.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:12 AM   #49
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I happen to think he's still an alright guy. Beautiful kids, too.
LOL, is the world really this small?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:24 AM   #50
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I happen to think he's still an alright guy. Beautiful kids, too.
I'm sure he's still a good guy. In fact, he was one of the coolest guys I ever knew in college. He's the guy that got me into student government. One day he came up to me and said, "Do you want to be a student judge?" I told him I wasn't qualified, and he said, "Don't worry. It's an appointed position. I know the ASBYU President. I'll tell him to appoint you." And that's how I became a student judge.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote