cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2006, 03:33 PM   #41
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

The expositor issue never bothered me, to be honest.

The legality is questionable, at best. Many people have argued that it was legal to destroy the press, many argue that it wasn't. I tend to think that there was a legal basis for acting how they did, but I'm not going to argue with somebody who says it was illegal.

I think that legal or not, had the expositor continued to print it would have destroyed the people. The Mormons were pretty paranoid about false press, having been severely damaged in the past by the press. Even more, though, Joseph himself said that had he not done what he did to remove the expositor, the blood of the saints would have flowed through the streets of Nauvoo like water.

Legal or not, it saved lives. It also sealed the fate of the Prophet.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:43 AM   #42
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall
Default Re: Addendum

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall
Its that, at least to my way of thinking, the reasons that Joseph was jailed is important at least as historical context. I am mainly concerned with several like things that aren't included in CES curriculums. Someone may have heard it brought it up in seminary but that isn't the same thing.
My memory is fuzzy on this, but I recall seeing a historical picture of the Nauvoo Expositor in my old Seminary manual. I suspect the text explained the significance of the Expositor and the role it played in the death of Joseph Smith (otherwise, why run the picture?). Perhaps since then this has been edited out? I don't know.

What other "likes things" are you refferrng to? (I think I can guess, but don't want to assume.)
Joseph Smith and his 33 wives come to mind as well as other details about polygamy. The Expositor thing is in there(as well as reports that Joseph & Hyrum fled initialy to avoid being caught).There may be others but I am too tired to think of them right now.
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:06 AM   #43
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

r.f.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:23 AM   #44
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:30 AM   #45
Robin

r.f.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:49 AM   #46
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
Quote:
For what it is worth, ALL of my problems with the LDS doctrine are now resolved.
Glad to hear it. Let us know how we can be more like you.
AAA... IF I were to add a FOURTH A, the last would be for asshole, for that is the orafice that something has clearly crawled up, or from which you should remove the iron rod.
Don't get nasty, Robin, you asked for it. Could anyone be more sanctimonious than you are? But I've never seen anyone so quick to domonstrate their own piety while trying to make others feel bad for their lack of it, and having such a foul mouth. We get the worst of all worlds from you. You're insufferable. Really awful, actually.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:57 AM   #47
Robin

r.f.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:04 AM   #48
SeattleUte

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
Quote:
For what it is worth, ALL of my problems with the LDS doctrine are now resolved.
Glad to hear it. Let us know how we can be more like you.
AAA... IF I were to add a FOURTH A, the last would be for asshole, for that is the orafice that something has clearly crawled up, or from which you should remove the iron rod.
Don't get nasty, Robin, you asked for it. Could anyone be more sanctimonious than you are? But I've never seen anyone so quick to domonstrate their own piety while trying to make others feel bad for their lack of it, and having such a foul mouth. We get the worst of all worlds from you. You're insufferable. Really awful, actually.
When AAA said, "Glad to hear it. Let us know how we can be more like you," I took that as an attack. Wasn't it? I don't care if people follow in my shoes. What have I ever said to suggest that? I offered my POV as a DIFFERENT POV, and I was attacked. AAA has been on the attack from the moment I came on the board.
It seems last time you were here you were giving poor Fusnick the back of your hand for expressing some minor crisis of faith.

—Paul Auster
Old 01-18-2006, 04:10 AM   #49
Robin

r.f.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:13 AM   #50
SeattleUte

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte

It seems last time you were here you were giving poor Fusnick the back of your hand for expressing some minor crisis of faith.
I wish I knew what you were talking about.
Oops! I mixed you up with someone else. In the immortal words of Roseanne Rosanna Dana, "Never mind." My apologies!

—Paul Auster