cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #41
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Now that I know what elite securities industry circles you move in I'm going to have to blame you in part for this financial crisis. I'm sorry, but you're responsible, and no doubt extremely rich.
Two Ueber Wealthy attorneys accusing each other of being wealthy and part of the problem. ty.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #42
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Levin, I would kick it up a notch.

Go the guy's office and write "Achtung Juden" on his door.

He won't know it was you, but he will think twice the next time he disparages Mormons.
LOL. YOu're kicking it up a notch!

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #43
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
There's some, but only some, truth to this, and it's an aspect of the "elite" that's certainly not to their credit. As a 3L, I interviewed with Morrison & Foerster. At the end of one interview, a young partner (the "Twit") touted the firm's many virtues and then, leaning back in his chair with his hands locked behind his head, observed smugly, "Yes, you could say that Morrison & Foerster and the Mormon Church don't have very much in common." I didn't get an offer.

Eight years later, as part of a migration away from my firm, Orrick Herrington, I met with MoFo's Chairman, Managing Partner, and the Twit where they presented me with an offer to become the first corporate/securities lawyer in their new Palo Alto office. The Twit didn't recall our interview eight years earlier, so I reminded him, in the presence of the others, of what he had said then (it really hadn't bothered me back then, but I was always amused by his condescending and self-satisfied tone). The Chairman recoiled in horror, and the Managing Partner invoked the name of Him after whom our church is named, and said, "You could have sued our asses off. Fortunately, we're a bit more enlightened now, and I apologize, rather belatedly, for what [the Twit] said." I laughed it off, and accepted the offer. Sometimes, SU, you remind me of the Twit.
The Twit didn't say anything? Didn't react? I DEMAND TO KNOW!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:38 PM   #44
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The Twit didn't say anything? Didn't react? I DEMAND TO KNOW!
It was pretty funny. He nodded sheepishly (actually, I'm not sure how sheep nod, but work with me) and said, "Yeah, that sounds like something I would have said back then." I should have borne my testimony and given him a copy of the Book of Mormon at that point, but I sometimes lack the courage of my convictions. But he and I got along fine after that, and worked on a deal together [this one's for SU] where we helped BofA sell a struggling brokerage business back to its original founder, Chuck Schwab.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #45
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
LOL. YOu're kicking it up a notch!
I've been in meetings for much of today, but still trying to add a bit here and there.

Arbeit Macht Frei!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #46
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Now that I know what elite securities industry circles you move in I'm going to have to blame you in part for this financial crisis. I'm sorry, but you're responsible, and no doubt extremely rich.
Don't blame me, as I left those lofty circles some time ago. I'm still trying to understand what a credit default swap is, and how we ended up with $60 Trillion worth of them. And those in my posse will testify I'm not rich at all; my retirement plan has become a 201(k).
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:43 PM   #47
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Don't blame me, as I left those lofty circles some time ago. I'm still trying to understand what a credit default swap is, and how we ended up with $60 Trillion worth of them. And those in my posse will testify I'm not rich at all; my retirement plan has become a 201(k).
Nice try. There are no early 200s code sections.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #48
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

It takes all types. I'll bring the fire to the party.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #49
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The difference between you and Levin is he's like the board's Larry David. His provocative stories involve, him, not others, doing incredibly stupid, boorish, and insensitive things.
How do I market this personality of mine?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:49 PM   #50
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
He nodded sheepishly (actually, I'm not sure how sheep nod, but work with me)
Consult landpoke or Goatnapper if you have need of animal behavior. My first choice would be to go with landpoke, and a spudman should know.