cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #41
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Curious. What are examples of things you hear in baby blessing that you think is improper?
"you are from the tribe of Ephraim, like your parents." You will rise in the first resurrection, you will marry in the temple. etc.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:40 PM   #42
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
"you are from the tribe of Ephraim, like your parents." You will rise in the first resurrection, you will marry in the temple. etc.
I would stop short of declaring lineage, but everything else is on the table, IMHO.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #43
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
I shouldn't have said it was incorrect to address the baby - that's a little strong. It just doesn't make any sense to address the baby after beginning by addressing Heavenly Father.

I can't think of any other ordinance, prayer, dedication or blessing in the church where a guy starts by addressing HF and then in the middle of said ordinance he switches and vice versa.

I'm pretty sure you are correct - that there isn't any specific instruction on this. I guess it just seems obvious to me.
If I'm ever bored enough I will get you some talks on the subject that say all kinds of things about how to bless a baby.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 01-18-2008, 08:45 PM   #44
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
If I'm ever bored enough I will get you some talks on the subject that say all kinds of things about how to bless a baby.
I would be interested in seeing that. TIA
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:45 PM   #45
K-dog

Quote:
I would stop short of declaring lineage, but everything else is on the table, IMHO.
Hmm.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 01-18-2008, 10:26 PM   #46
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Curious. What are examples of things you hear in baby blessing that you think is improper?
I have never heard this said, but it would probably be inappropriate to say that "you will have a bitchin' life with fast cars and loose women" though I have no doubt that is what Parrot Head heard when he was blessed.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:05 PM   #47
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Are baby blessings allowed in the home? I have a friend who wants to bless his child at home and his bishop told him that the handbook says that baby blessings are to be done in church only.

I have never heard this and I have actually seen them in the home before.

Whats your take?
My take is there's no reason to have it at home. Only weirdos, or people trying to be a pain in the ass bless their baby at home. Give me a freaking break...just do it in the chapel.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:11 PM   #48
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Blessings at home are very intimate and can be great for a family. They are extremely common. If a bishop won't allow it, it's only because he's being a jerk.

Also, what's wrong with giving a partriarchal style blessing to your child during baby blessing?

Further, what's wrong with addressing the child? That's how they are all done, and I believe that's how we were instructed to do it when the instructions used to be in the back of the priesthood lesson manual. Start by addressing the Father in prayer, naming the baby. Then address the baby and give it a blessing.
WRONG! No where does it state to address the baby. You're not blessing the baby, you are saying a prayer to HF. Why in the world would you switch from speaking to HF, to talking to a baby who can't understand a word you're saying? I NEVER address the baby.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:12 PM   #49
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
My take is there's no reason to have it at home. Only weirdos, or people trying to be a pain in the ass bless their baby at home. Give me a freaking break...just do it in the chapel.
I disagree. It doesn't matter where the baby is blessed, only that the baby is blessed.

My wife's nephew and niece (her oldest sister's kids) were both blessed in my in-laws home. They lived in Omaha and wanted family on both sides to be involved in the blessing - as baby blessings are really more for the extended family than for the ward members - and they because they are the only members of the extended family on either side to not live along the Wasatch Front, decided to come to SLC for the blessing rather than all of us heading out to Omaha.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:16 PM   #50
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
I azssume you are saying thids for effect? There are many reasons why people want to have them at home. Your 'take' is unduly judgemental and unsound, IMO. Mine were all blessed in the chapel, btw.