cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 09:05 PM   #41
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Bright View Post
I don't think it does, but I'm not positive.
It doesn't. Waters keeps trying to protray this as a situation where the mother doesn't have a choice, which is patently false.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:09 PM   #42
Burning Bright

Burning Bright is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
What about saying something over the pulpit? We were forcefully told over the pulpit that it is never right for a single mom to keep the kid, because the kid would be better off in a family with both parents.
Widowed mothers are not single mothers.
Burning Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:09 PM   #43
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
It doesn't. Waters keeps trying to protray this as a situation where the mother doesn't have a choice, which is patently false.
She has the choice to disobey advice/commandment (depending on your interpretation) which will not likely end in formal disfellowship or excommunication, but could lead to other forms of disapproval and ostracization.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #44
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Bright View Post
Widowed mothers are not single mothers.
Are divorced moms single moms?

If a woman is pregnant, and during presidency the husband and wife get divorced?

(of course I know that this is like saying what if aliens came down, because it can never happen in real life).
Old 11-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #45
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Indy: I don't disagree with the statistics. In most cases, children are better off with a mother and a father. But I think Mike is highlighting the problem that comes with making a hard and fast rule based on statistical probabilities.

Would you agree that the general practice in the church is to counsel unwed pregnant mothers who are not in a position to marry the child's father to give the child up for adoption? If so, then I think that's strict enough of a rule to fit Mike's definition.

The problem is, when an individual is faced with a decision of what to do, the statistics don't predestine one result over the other.

I agree with Mike that perhaps there needs to be less strict of an application of the principle of unwed mother adoption and more emphasis on personal revelation in the matter.

If everyone is encouraging one path over another, are they really saying she has a choice?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #46
Indy Coug

Quote:
Are divorced moms single moms?

If a woman is pregnant, and during presidency the husband and wife get divorced?

(of course I know that this is like saying what if aliens came down, because it can never happen in real life).
Anyone honestly reading that document wouldn't conclude that your divorce/death scenarios are what this document is intended to address.

The wording of this is obviously intended to address young expectant mothers that have never been married.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #47
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
She has the choice to disobey advice/commandment (depending on your interpretation) which will not likely end in formal disfellowship or excommunication, but could lead to other forms of disapproval and ostracization.
If there were any discipline it certainly wouldn't come in the form of "disagreeing/disobeying advice to put the child up for adoption.

It would come from violating the law of chastity which is an entirely different topic.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #48
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
If everyone is encouraging one path over another, are they really saying she has a choice?
Yes.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:16 PM   #49
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Anyone honestly reading that document wouldn't conclude that your divorce/death scenarios are what this document is intended to address.

The wording of this is obviously intended to address young expectant mothers that have never been married.
So a woman who was divorced 5 years ago, and now pregnant by another man and not married?

I'm trying to figure out who this applies to. What ages are young? At what age does the advice no longer apply?

Those statistics are worthless if they are national statistics. You know that as well as I. The outcomes for a middle class white Mormon teenage girl who keeps her kid are not going to be the same as the average unwed mother.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #50
Indy Coug

Quote:
Those statistics are worthless if they are national statistics. You know that as well as I. The outcomes for a middle class white Mormon teenage girl who keeps her kid are not going to be the same as the average unwed mother.
The likely outcome isn't going to be the same for a 30 year old divorcee as they are for a 17 year old pre-HS graduate.