cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 07:45 PM   #41
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I am not convinced I believe your conclusions on job opportunities and grad school options. You could be right but I have never read much to convince me that Michigan is that highly thought of. That is not to say that I think BYU is real highly thought of, but you make it sound like Michigan is uniformly viewed as similar to Cal-Berkeley. Is it really that highly esteemed?
I hate agreeing with a Ute, but yes. Mich probably actually tops Cal-Berkeley in most areas.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #42
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I hate agreeing with a Ute, but yes. Mich probably actually tops Cal-Berkeley in most areas.
Wow, really? In which ones? In selectivity of admissions?

Are you saying that a degree from UM is more prestigious than a degree from Cal? (overall)

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #43
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I am not convinced I believe your conclusions on job opportunities and grad school options. You could be right but I have never read much to convince me that Michigan is that highly thought of. That is not to say that I think BYU is real highly thought of, but you make it sound like Michigan is uniformly viewed as similar to Cal-Berkeley. Is it really that highly esteemed?
http://collegeapps.about.com/od/choo...bestpublic.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Ivy
Old 10-29-2007, 07:52 PM   #44
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Once again, the Pac 10 dominates the top rankings!

Hilarious how UM is on the list, but the entire UC system is also on the list, not just Cal and FUCLA.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:00 PM   #45
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Yes... just for the mere opportunities. If your kid could go to berkley or San Diego St. which would you want?
First, I agree Michigan's general overall academic reputation is outstanding, and I imagine job opportunities and academic opportunities are quite good following graduation.

Second, it sounds as if the student is already at a university and may know what she wants to study.

I disagree that you can uniformly state Michigan is better than Utah in all Departments.

For example, in certain types of engineering Utah may exceed Michigan and for that discreet aspect may have better placement. And some deparments may have differing emphasis, such one Philosophy Department may emphasize continental philosophy whereas another deemphasizes it.

and finally I agree the leaders weren't probably considering it from the academic angle, which they probably should have, but from an environmental perspective.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:02 PM   #46
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yes... It is on par if not better than Cal Berkely. The job and school opportunities to Michigan undergrads are FAR better than byu (or utah for that matter). It may not be Harvard but its about the same as going undergrad to Penn or Dartmouth
I was not aware it was that highly respected.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:04 PM   #47
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

and finally I agree the leaders weren't probably considering it from the academic angle, which they probably should have, but from an environmental perspective.
even from an environmental perspective Michigan makes the most sense for her. She doesn't have family in Utah. Her father is not in good health and she can be at the house in a little over an hour if needed. Additionally, the institute and singles ward at the U of M are great. the ward is 250+. I don't see any benefit for her going to byu that would outweigh the situation she is in now.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:09 PM   #48
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
even from an environmental perspective Michigan makes the most sense for her. She doesn't have family in Utah. Her father is not in good health and she can be at the house in a little over an hour if needed. Additionally, the institute and singles ward at the U of M are great. the ward is 250+. I don't see any benefit for her going to byu that would outweigh the situation she is in now.
I didn't say I thought it was a better environment but that your leaders may have judged the situation from that perspective.

However, I still disagree with your categorical assumption, when a department by department analysis would be in order.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:52 PM   #49
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Why in hades is this subject deserving of such a long thread? Michigan is ceratainly one of the top universities in the world. It is probably the no. 1 public university in the nation. I am measuring this by the usual standards. Nobel prize winners among faculty, endowment, public funding, research activity and funding, etc. (Cal may be slightly higher regarded in terms strictly of undergrad because I believe it may be a bit more exclusive, with better faculty/student ratios, etc., and a bit harder to get into, but I'm not sure about that.)

It is fair, however, to say that, for example, Williams or Swarthmore, is not a fair comparison to Michigan, because whereas Michigan tries to be among the very best at just about everything, Williams and Swarthmore try only to be among the best undergraduates. But BYU is most emphatically not Williams or Swarthmore, and much less Michigan. Among big sprawling schools with mob scenes in freshmen classes Michigan is probably in the top 3, and BYU does not hold a candle to it.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #50
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Where is Utah compared to Michigan.

Hardy-har-har-har!!!!!!!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote