cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 01:59 AM   #41
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
when somebody asked why another Utahn about Cook?

He's a world traveler. Oh brother. He served in England on a mission and was in the Philippines for a few years.

The Church missed a great opportunity for diversity there and missed it.
Who cares? He spent his entire adult life (33 yrs, IIRC) and raised his family in one of the most, if not THE most, culturally diverse areas in the country. He's as much a Utahn as I am.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:02 AM   #42
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
Who cares? He spent his entire adult life (33 yrs, IIRC) and raised his family in one of the most, if not THE most, culturally diverse areas in the country. He's as much a Utahn as I am.
You take a Utahn out of Utah but you can't take the Utah out of a Utahn.

He didn't serve a foreign language mission, he isn't ethnically diverse and just coming from California means nothing. He may be a fine man and serve without negative remark, as I'm certain he won't make waves. He's just not an outside influence nor anything different than we've always had.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:04 AM   #43
8ballrollin

Quote:
You take a Utahn out of Utah but you can't take the Utah out of a Utahn.
I would summit that being a stake pres, etc. in SFO is much different than being a leader in any other part of california, and on par with only a couple of other metro-areas in north america in regards to exposure to diversity, no matter where you were born.

Last edited by 8ballrollin; 10-08-2007 at 02:10 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:09 AM   #44
Archaea

Quote:
Deep.
Equal to your "California's ethnically diverse" crapola. It's not Church diversity to have somebody from California. Heck President Hunter was from Palo Alto.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:17 AM   #45
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's not lost upon me, because that's the explanation you and your ilk foist upon us who question. It's just not very palatable.

We have OT stories of prophets going to great lengths to find outsiders a la David, and we see no David stories in current appointments.

Your argument is akin to the "royal lineage" of kings, i.e., God only raises up the rulers within the ruling elite and none other are worthy of God's grace. That's your intimation and the logical extension of your argument, namely, only righteous lines are entitled to lead.
Interesting that you would bring up David and "royal lineage" when it just so happens it's David's seed through whom Jesus came. Now there's some nepotism for ya!

The more interesting story here is your personal struggle to feel vindicated in criticizing the church, its leaders, and its scriptures while not criticizing God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Please explain how you know something about how they are NOT chosen without pretending to know anything about how they ARE chosen.
That they don't use a Ouija board? Call it a hunch.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:17 AM   #46
8ballrollin

Quote:
Equal to your "California's ethnically diverse" crapola. It's not Church diversity to have somebody from California. Heck President Hunter was from Palo Alto.
You think PA in the '50s is the same place it is today? Seriously?

But since we're on the subject, President Hunter never lived in Utah until he was called as a GA. He never served a mission. So, yes, I do think he had a different outlook on life than many inter-mountain types. He focused on us reaching out to those who may have felt disenfranchised from the church – sorry that message was sooo disappointing to you and not 'diverse' enough.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:28 AM   #47
8ballrollin

Quote:
You think PA in the '50s is the same place it is today? Seriously?

But since we're on the subject, President Hunter never lived in Utah until he was called as a GA. He never served a mission. So, yes, I do think he had a different outlook on life than many inter-mountain types. He focused on us reaching out to those who may have felt disenfranchised from the church – sorry that message was sooo disappointing to you and not 'diverse' enough.

For clarity, he spent all of this young adult and adult live in LA - being called to the Twelve while SP in Pasadena. The first time he lived in Utah was after this call.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:54 AM   #48
Archaea

Quote:
For clarity, he spent all of this young adult and adult live in LA - being called to the Twelve while SP in Pasadena. The first time he lived in Utah was after this call.
I liked Elder Hunter quite a bit, as he had a human touch. However, the call of Cook was immensely disappointing. It's seems like a retrenchment rather than a reaching out. I've near California most of my life, so having somebody from Cali is not that enlightening. My sis lives in Socal.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:56 AM   #49
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The more interesting story here is your personal struggle to feel vindicated in criticizing the church, its leaders, and its scriptures while not criticizing God.
God is not walking around the Church last I checked, but living men and women were.

You use that as smoke screen because you can't think or won't think through a problem for yourself.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:12 AM   #50
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
God is not walking around the Church last I checked, but living men and women were.

You use that as smoke screen because you can't think or won't think through a problem for yourself.
That's just a cop-out. I could just as easily say:

God is not off playing golf in a distant corner of the universe, phoning-in his leadership of his Church.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote