cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wow, is this true???

About the book "Mormon Doctrine".

http://www.amazon.com/Mormon-Doctrin.../dp/0884940624

Quote:
"There are too many topics in it (hundreds) for me to comment upon here, so I will limit my remarks to just one, as indicative of the mentality of the author, and why his fellow apostles cringed so much at its contents. Under the alphabetically listed heading, "Psychiatry," the author's "doctrinal" comment begins, "See, Church of the Devil," another of book's topics. If you, as a reader, believe that psychiatry is best approached and understood in conceptual terms of "church of the devil," then you might be one of the many people who are happy with Mormon Doctrine as a book. If you think, however, that to perceive psychiatry as part of "the devil's church" is surprisingly ignorant and childish thinking, then you very likely will have as many reservations about this book as did the author's fellow apostles who were first offended by its appearance in print.

For your information, today is December 14, 2005, and it was just yesterday that I was stunned anew to see, in the current edition of Mormon Doctrine in a Border's bookstore, that this book still contains McKonkie's "See, Church of the Devil" reference. How the LDS Church tolerates this neanderthalish comment to remain in print is puzzling. Why McKonkie's heirs don't edit out this sort of absurdity is at least equally as puzzling."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote